CHAPTER 13

Shrimati Radharani's smiling glance ran from the corner of Her contempt filled eyes to Lord Krishna's lotus face, and then back again, just as a swarm of bees flies back and forth from a lotus flower

Shrimati Radharani's smiling glance ran from the corner of Her contempt filled eyes to Lord Krishna's lotus face, and then back again, just as a swarm of bees flies back and forth from a lotus flower. Reddened with tears of happiness by Lord krishna's touching Her sari's edge, Radharani's glance drowned Her beloved Krishna in a shoreless ocean of transcendental bliss.

As Shrimati Radharani pulled Lord Krishna's hand from Her sari's edge, She pierced Him with Cupid's arrows shot from the corner of Her crooked eyes. Blinded and maddened with ecstatic love, She spoke the following words to Her beloved Krishna, whose beautiful lotus face was decorated with a gentle smile as sweet as nectar:

My dear Krishna, I think You are the most handsome and sweet thing in all the material or spiritual worlds. You are perfectly correct to laugh at My beauty and criticize it for being a thief.

My dear Krishna, You certainly know everything about the beauty of the young gopis, for when, with saintly simplicity, they placed their folded hands on their heads to offer prayers to Varuna, You saw the beauty of their naked bodies.

My dear Krishna, as the worshippable, virtuous, supremely qualified young prince of Vraja, You could have married any one of countless beautiful girls. That You remain unmarried is proof of how vigorously You control Your senses and how firmly You are fixed in the vow of celibacy.

My dear Krishna, You nevertheless possess a certain attribute such that there is no girl who, after hearing of it, will agree to accept You as her husband.

My dear Krishna, because no girl will marry You, You are forced to remain celibate. This is no great credit to You.

My dear Krishna, if You are such a staunch celibate brahmachari, then why are You so eager to gaze into the faces of the wives of others? Why do You enjoy amorous pastimes with the wives of others?

My dear Krishna, I think that You falsely pose as a celibate brahmachari to trick others. A brahmachari is supposed to perform Vedic sacrifices. I think the only sacrifice You perform is to break the chastity of the young girls and saintly wives of Vraja.

My dear Krishna, we all thought that You were incharge of herding numberless surabhi cows. Now it appears You have abandoned that occupation and become policeman of the forest where trees, creepers and flowers grow without having been planted by any farmer. This is certainly very wonderful.

This famous forest of Vrndavana was created by the potency of Our friend Vrnda-devi. She gave it to Me, and she personally crowned Me as it's queen, showering Me with precious gems. It is not true that You and King Cupid are the rulers of this place.

This is My pastime-forest, on the shore of My lake. This is My grove, named kama-sarma-prada, where My throne is placed.

- No males are allowed to enter this place, which bears the name kanta-varta-sudha-dhuk (the nectar-news of the lover). My gopi-friends always stay in this place, drinking the nectar of the news of My lover.

We are simply picking a single flower to serve the sun-god. Why are You so shameless and selfish that You wish to stop us?

My dear celibate brahmachari, You have no business in this flower-garden where young girls play. Leave this place. Return to Your cowherd friends, and protect the surabhi cows as they eat the fresh grasses of Vraja.

As Radharani spoke, the cakora bird of Lord Hari eagerly drank the flood of nectarean joking words flowing from Shrimati Radharani's cooling, beautifully smiling moonlike face. As the cakora-bird Hari drank, the cakora-birds of the gopis' eyes showed signs of dissatisfaction.

Shrimati Radharani proceeded to decorate the neck of Her lover Krishna with a garland of the blue lotus flowers of Her sidelong glances. She became afraid that Krishna might touch Her, and, expressing Her contempt for Him in a wordless breath, playfully turned as if to leave His company at once.

The transcendental body of His beloved Radharani was like a wonderful dancer performing before Lord Krishna. By seeing Her, He became agitated with amorous longings, and He again grasped the edge of Her sari.

Shrimati Radharani bent the bow of Her eyebrows and attacked Her beloved Krishna with the arrows of glances from the reddened corners of her eyes. She pierced the armor of His peaceful composure, and repeatedly stuck Him with the toy lotus flower in Her hand.

Struck by Radharani's lotus, Lord krishna became filled with transcendental bliss. Indeed, He was not able to measure the intense happiness that filled His transcendental body, the resting-place of numberless universes. Out of ecstatic happiness He trembled, perspired, shed tears, and the hairs of His body stood erect.

The touch of Lord Krishna caused Shrimati Radharani's transcendental body to blossom with happiness. The knot holding Her bodice became loose, Her silk undergarment began to slip, and the lower part of Her body began to perspire.

When Shrimati Radharani saw the smiles of Her amused gopi-friends, She became embarrassed, and Her eyes moved restlessly. As She struggled to protect Herself from Lord Krishna's hand, Her sari and undergarments began to fall. Although ordinarily very expert, She became bewildered and unable to protect Herself.

Lord Krishna then began the jubilant festival of cupid by placing His hand near Shrimati Radharani's breasts, which were like two beautiful golden waterpots filled with Her perspiration.

Shrimati Radharani observed Lord Krishna from the reddish corner of Her left eye and Her smiling gopi-friends with Her other eye. She hastily tried, somehow or other, to keep Krishna's hand from ripping Her undergarments.

Shrimati Radharani simultaneously smiled and shed tears. With crooked eyes and stuttering voice She criticizing Her lover, although actually She longed for His embraces. With crooked activities born of crooked happiness Shrimati Radharani pretended to resist Lord Krishna's hand, although She actually had no objection to fulfilling any of His desires.

There was a great struggle between the hand of Shrimati Radharani and the hand of Lord Krishna. Their bracelets tinkling pleasantly, these two hands appeared like two lotus flowers filled with swarms of loudly buzzing bees, and violently moving in the wind.

Lalita then forced Her way between the two combatants and pushed Lord Krishna away from Shrimati Radharani. Kundavali then addressed Krishna: O Krishna pleased do not act in this way. Instead of this, You should diligently engage in worshipping the five most important demigods. This is what You should do.

Lord Krishna replied: O Kundalata, I now request that You become the chief priest in the sacrifice of cupid I am about to perform. Please give Me the proper paraphernalia to perform the sacrifice, and please designate the place where it should be performed. This is My request.

I have no qualification to act as priest, although I have heard some secret mantras from Nandimukhi. Because You are my dear brother-in-law, I shall now recite these mantras for You.