Chapter 23 - Peter - The world's best kept secret.

I spring out of bed in a mixture of excitement and nervousness. my phone was already flooded with messages from the group chat of Taliah's friends. I through on some clothes and hurry downstairs to get Taliah her usual from the cafe before her alarm goes off.

I creep back into the room, placing her food and coffee on the side table before softly rubbing her arm to wake her. " Good morning Angel." I whisper. She opens one eye and rolls over with a grunt of annoyance. I leave her be, letting her alarm wake her up. while I wait in the lounge room. The messages bombarded my phone like a hail storm, they assured me that everything was on track and ready for tonight. James left the apartment early, heading into the city for me. he sent me photo after photo of dresses.

Peter: I trust you to find her something that she will love.

James: Oh, I think I found it!

Peter: Don't send it to me, so it's as much of a surprise for me as it is for her.

Hearing Taliah's alarm finally go off. I quietly head into the room. Seeing her already gluging down her coffee. "Morning." I say to test the waters. She grunts back at me. I'm guessing the coffee has not hit her yet.  She sits up against the headboard holding her coffee to her chest. After a few sips she becomes alive. Swinging her feet off the bed and checking her phone time. " Oh shit, I'm going to be late." I watch as she starts darting around the room collecting clothes and heads into the bathroom for it feels like under five minutes, emerging ready. Grabbing her food from the side table, kissing me on my cheek and running out the door.

I swiftly message everyone that Taliah had left for work.

James: please use proper protocol when discussing today.

Peter: Fine, 'The kitten has left the building' and project  'put a ring on it' is in full swing.

James: Roger that Hottie Mchotcakes.

Peter: James, you not using that as my code name.

James: I am not James, from now on I'll be known as Fancy Pants.

Sarah: Haha, very fitting.

James: Dress and shoes are secured I'm going to do a few more errands before heading to homebase.

Peter: I'm going to head out for a few hours to get all the extra bits and pieces. 

I rushed around town, ticking items off the engagement checklist. Each task brought me one step closer to the moment I would ask Taliah to be my forever.

Getting back to the apartment to James and Sarah cleaning. I dump all the shopping bags on the couch. "What do you need me to do?" rolling up my sleeves. "we're pretty much done." says Sarah wiping down the kitchen counter. " What did you end up buying? " she continues. I unpack the bags on the dry spot on the counter. Pulling out some candles, fakes rose petals and a nice card that I was planning to leave her for when she gets home. "I was planning to leave an hour before she gets home to ensure she doesn't see me."

I spend an hour napping to make sure I will be on my A game. I eventually roll out of the sheets, opening up my suit case dig to the bottom of it to make sure it stayed hidden from Taliah, I unpack my dark blue suit. Heading to the bathroom and hanging it up on the shower curtain rail, while  I take a shower, spending extra time to make sure I smell good. Wrapping my waist with a towel and heading to the sink to groom my facial hair.  

Being all dressed, groomed and smelling good I say bye to James and Sarah and I make our way down to the bar across the street from the restaurant I booked for Taliah and me tonight.

As the sun dipped below the skyline, casting hues of pink and orange across the city as we reach the bar. Seeing that Taliah's friend group had already gathered. We all hovered over my phone waiting for notification she was home. After a few rounds of drinks to ease the nerves and some light chatter, all our phones simultaneously buzz and ding.

James: Clothes and note on her bed.

Sarah: The rest of us are already here having dinner. James let us know as soon as she leaves, then high-tail it over here. 

Must have been mere minutes when all our phones buzz again. 

James: Kitten had returned home. 

James: She has found the note. 

James: I'll say she'll be ready in 45 minutes.

Peter: Thanks James. 

Gemma orders some chips for the table. " I was going to get chicken wings, but I didn't want anyone putting anything on Peter's suit." Hannah gives Gemma a thumbs-up from the other end of the table. " Good call, Gemmy. no one is going to ruin this." scanning the table with dagger eyes. 

My nerves really creeps in as my knee starts bouncing. This moment has been waiting for a year, and it just kept being pushed back by deployments and mandatory training. 

Another round of phones buzzing starts. 

James: Kitten has flown the cope. 

Gemma stands up, straightening up my collar and dusting off my shoulders. She looks me straight in the eyes. " Taliah is one lucky woman to have you."