Chapter 8 - Peter - Home Coming

Being at sea for almost six months would drive anyone a little mad. When over 90% of your crew consists of males, issues among men start arising, especially close to the end of deployment. At that point, we are all exhausted, having been away from family and partners for months, and have had our fill of close quarters. The last month on this ship has been hell - breaching capacity, quiet becoming a rarity, and privacy almost non-existent. The hum of the motors, once fading after the first three days at sea, now keeps you from falling asleep, and the rocking becomes somewhat soothing. The fresh recruits are the ones causing most of the issues. Being pulled out of our bunks at 3 a.m. for drills after the senior officers catch wind of people not falling into line, forcing us into laps of the deck and push-ups until breakfast.

Over my time away from home, I've only touched land three times, mostly near small Middle Eastern towns where we've secured for years. During one of those rare excursions, a small group of us walked through a Bazaar, and I picked up a few trinkets for the family. But for Taliah, I went above and beyond, exploring rows of stalls filled with handmade pottery, trinkets, and beaded blouses, while the smell of street food filled the air. I had already acquired a few handmade bracelets in previous ports, but for Taliah, I needed something special as we approached our fourth year together, and I would finally have time off work to visit her. It had to be something easy to travel with. After hours of wandering through the maze of stalls, I decided to head back to the ship.

Turning to online resources for ideas, I discovered that the traditional gift for a four-year anniversary is flowers or fruit, which I dismissed as impractical. Laughing at the thought of showing up with a basket of apples, oranges, pineapples, and mangoes, I looked at the list of modern anniversary gifts - appliances. Imagining the absurdity of giving her an air fryer or toaster, I continued my search for a more suitable gift, perhaps something she could wear every day, like jewelry.

Back in my quarters, with the other guys watching TV and being rowdy as usual, I went straight to my bunk. Scrolling through options for Taliah, I stumbled upon a customizable necklace that I knew she would love. The idea of having my name over her chest, a visible acknowledgment of her dedication to me over the past three years, resonated with me. I wanted her to know that I thought about her every day and scheduled my life to communicate with her.

After checking out on the online store, I messaged Dave to give him a heads up about a package arriving approximately two weeks before I should return. I wanted time to write a heartfelt note before organizing a visit.

As the guys got louder, I rolled over in my bunk to see what they were up to. Hovering around the TV, they were all on the edge of their seats, engaged in a Mario Kart tournament. Knowing how intense these competitions could get, I decided to leave and get some food from the mess hall, hoping for a quieter environment.

Navigating the labyrinth that is the ship, I finally reached the mess hall to find a few groups having a late lunch. I grabbed a tray, loaded it with dishes, and sat at a lonely table away from everyone to enjoy my meal in peace. The time in solitude was short-lived, as the guys entered the mess, having missed lunchtime due to the tournament. They all made a beeline for me, and I sighed, looking down at my tray.

"Peter, where were you today? You missed out on Mario Kart, man," Mark said as he, Joel, and Nick approached. I put on a smile and replied, "Hey, I tested out my land legs today and went to the Bazaar on the other side of the highway.", " You missed out Jonsie; it was amazing! I won, as per usual," Joel boasted, slapping me on the back as he took a seat beside me.

"Only because I sneezed in the last hundred yards from the finish line," Nick interjected, taking his spot at the table. Mark laughed at the banter. "While the ladies sort out their differences, how were the markets? Did you get any cute girl's numbers?" he teased.

"Mac, you know I have a girl. Plus, it was mainly older ladies there today, being a weekday. I bet they'll give you a tug at a good price," I joked. "Hey, age is just a number, man," Mark shrugged. Gathering my tray, I said, "Boys, I'm off for some R and R; I'm on duty most of tomorrow." After returning my tray, I took a long hot shower before lying in my bunk with the curtains closed, counting down the days until I'm home, feeling irritable with all the extra people around.

The days passed slowly as the day of coming home approached. The intercom system buzzed, and the Captain announced that we'd be home a day early as one of our jobs had been canceled. The whole ship erupted in a mellow cheer. While docked at a safe port, I texted Taliah and David the news.

The only reply that mattered at that moment was Taliah's. I wanted to know if she was alright and not too upset. It gets challenging for her to go about her daily life without contact from me. After waiting for 30 minutes, I took a deep breath and switched my phone off, placing it back into my trunk.