Chapter 17 - David - Swipping

There comes a point where staring at the ceiling, pondering my seemingly perpetual misfortune, becomes a tiresome exercise. I recognize she wasn't the right one. Having a significant other keeps me motivated, providing me with a sense of purpose. However, this marks the third breakup in six months. Fortunately, unlike the previous one, at least she didn't have a side affair. What's the use in giving my all when these relationships last only a few weeks or months before they move on to the next best thing? Time is ticking, with my deployment scheduled in a month, leaving me with minimal time to establish a connection. Glancing back at the message Peter sent me earlier, I realize I've exhausted all my resources, and I trust Taliah with this.

I roll out of bed, spotting Taliah on the couch engrossed in the TV while scrolling on her phone. "Tals," I say, hoping I didn't startle her. "Dave, how are you feeling?" she asks, her gaze following me as I settle into the armchair. A moment of silence hangs in the air. "Can I ask you something?" I catch her attention as she turns off her phone screen, placing it on her lap. "What's up?" I take a deep breath. "How do you cope with you and Peter being apart?"

"Most days, you don't, especially during blackouts. I check my phone every ten to fifteen minutes, even though Peter has given me a time frame. Anxiety is always through the roof," she explains. I nod, absorbing the information. "How do I find someone like you?" I see her furrow her eyebrows. "Like me? What do you mean?" I clarify, "Yesterday's mood was from my third breakup in six months. I don't think I can keep doing this anymore."

Her expression relaxes as the pieces fall into place. "Well, what have your last few girlfriends been like?" I recount, "The first one was twenty-one and still in university, partying a lot. The second was a twenty-four-year-old single mom who cheated on me, and the last one, twenty, just wanted me to buy her things, and she left when I started saying no."

She takes her time before saying, "Dave, you're over thirty and dating people under twenty-five." I look around the room, reflecting on my romantic endeavors. "Probably when I was twenty-three, I had a girlfriend who was twenty-two." Taliah suggests, "Have you thought about dating someone older than twenty-seven?" Without hesitation, I reply, "No, I think all my romantic interests have been under twenty-five." She gives me a knowing look, and I realize the significance of her words.

"How are you finding people?" I pull out my phone, showing Taliah the array of apps I'm on. "That's a lot. Okay, let me grab some snacks and drinks, and we can go through them."

Taliah assembles a basic charcuterie board and brings it to the coffee table with two bottles of cider. "Okay, let's open one up and see what we're dealing with." I open the first app, swiping through profiles, reading them out loud, and showing Taliah their pictures. She provides insights, cautioning me about certain profiles. "What's your current age range?" she asks, narrowing her eyes at the settings. "Eighteen to twenty-four. Let's adjust this to a more appropriate age range, shall we?" I nod. "How about twenty-seven to thirty-one? They'll still be younger than you but more mature." She updates the settings, and we continue swiping.

As we spend the afternoon swiping and messaging potential matches, Taliah suggests introducing me to her friend Gemma, a twenty-eight-year-old. I agree, and as messages and matches flood in, Taliah goes back to scrolling on her phone, leaving me to navigate through the profiles solo.