chapter 26 (Heartbreaking Lidingo Tragedy)

Early in the morning, Light, filled with determination to surprise Pearl and make amends, arrived at her condo. To his surprise, the door was locked, indicating that no one was at home. Undeterred, he tried the passcode, but the system denied him access.

Light (muttering to himself): "What's going on? Maybe she's out for a jog or something. I'll wait for her."

As  Light waited outside the door, uncertainty, and nervousness lingered in the air. The unexpected turn of events added to the tension, leaving him to wonder about the hurdles he might face in his quest to reconcile with Pearl.

As hours passed, Kidlat anxiously waited outside Pearl's condo, but there was no sign of her. The stillness in the air heightened his concerns, and the silence around him echoed the uncertainty of the situation. Each passing moment increased the weight of anticipation, leaving Kidlat to grapple with the possibility of facing more obstacles in his attempt to reach out to Pearl.

Kidlat (frustrated, dialing Pearl's number): "Come on, Pearl, where are you? I've been waiting here. Why is your phone not connecting?"

The phone rings, but there's no answer.

Light  (muttering): "This is not good. Did something happen? Why isn't she picking up?"

The growing unease within Kidlat intensified as he attempted to reach Pearl through her phone, only to encounter the disheartening reality that her number was no longer connected. The sense of urgency heightened, and Kidlat's mind raced with worry about what might be keeping Pearl away.

As Light tried to access Pearl's social media account, he was met with a mysterious post—a silhouette against the backdrop of a cottage fronting a lake on Lidingö Island. The image painted a serene scene, capturing the essence of the island's natural beauty.

In the silhouette, the contours of the cottage and the tranquil lake suggested a peaceful retreat, surrounded by the scenic landscapes of Lidingö. The post created an air of intrigue, leaving Light to wonder about the significance of this remote location and why Pearl might be there.

The image hinted at the possibility that Pearl had sought solace or contemplation in the idyllic setting of Lidingö Island, adding another layer of complexity to the unfolding story. Light's curiosity and concern deepened as he contemplated the meaning behind Pearl's choice of location.

Feeling a mix of determination and concern, Light decided to make his way to Lidingö Island to find Pearl. He knew that the answers to the questions lingering in his mind might be waiting for him on the tranquil shores of the island.

As he boarded a ferry to Lidingö, the cool breeze and the gentle lapping of the water against the boat created a reflective atmosphere. Light couldn't shake the feeling of urgency, realizing that time was of the essence in resolving the complications between him and Pearl.

Upon reaching the island, Light began his search, guided by the silhouette in the social media post. The scenic beauty of Lidingö provided a calming contrast to the turmoil within him. Light moved through narrow pathways, passing charming cottages and meandering by the lakeside, his eyes searching for any sign of Pearl.

Light (muttering to himself): "I have to find her and talk things through. There's so much that needs to be said and understood."

As he approached the area where the silhouette was captured, Light noticed a quaint cottage nestled near the lake. The sound of rustling leaves and the distant calls of birds added to the serene ambiance. Light hesitated for a moment before knocking on the cottage door.

Light: "Pearl? It's me, Light. Can we talk?"

The air hung heavy with anticipation as Light awaited a response, hoping that this journey to Lidingö Island would mark a turning point in their tumultuous story.

The gentle knock echoed through the quiet surroundings, but there was no immediate response from within the cottage. Light, growing more anxious, tried calling out again.

Light: "Pearl? Are you in there? It's me, Light. We need to talk."

The stillness of the island seemed to amplify the sound of his voice, creating an eerie atmosphere. Light's concern deepened as the seconds passed without any sign of life from within the cottage.

Light (whispering to himself): "Where could she be? What if she's not here?"

As uncertainty clouded his mind, Light contemplated his next steps. Should he wait longer or explore the surroundings in search of Pearl? The beauty of Lidingö Island stood in stark contrast to the tension building within him, leaving Light with a sense of urgency to unravel the mysteries that lay ahead.

Nervous but determined, Light felt compelled to take a chance. He carefully approached the cottage door and, with a deep breath, gently forced it open. The scene that unfolded before him left him utterly shocked and filled with a mixture of fear and concern.

As the door swung open, a faint light from the outside illuminated the interior of the cottage. Light's eyes widened as he saw a silhouette on the floor—motionless and lying in an unsettling stillness. The room, bathed in an eerie quietness, held a weight that sent shivers down Light's spine.

Light (gasping): "Pearl! What happened?"

His heart raced as he rushed to the side of the silhouette, his mind racing with worry and a growing fear of the unknown. The air in the cottage felt heavy, and the gravity of the situation began to sink in, leaving Light with a sense of urgency to assess the well-being of the person lying before him.

Light's heart pounded in his chest as he confirmed that the unconscious figure on the floor was indeed Pearl. The discovery of his photo in her hand added a layer of complexity to the situation, and the word Adieu mon amour, Light at the back of the photo sent a chill down his spine.

Light (whispering): "No, no, no. Pearl, wake up. What's going on?"

He gently shook her, trying to rouse her from her unconscious state. The weight of the moment pressed heavily on Light as he grappled with the realization that something serious had transpired, and the word "goodbye" hinted at a farewell that he wasn't prepared for.

The cottage, once filled with the promise of reconciliation, now became a haunting backdrop to a mysterious and troubling turn of events. Light, desperate for answers, continued to call out to Pearl, hoping that she would awaken and provide some clarity to the enigma that had unfolded on Lidingö Island.

In a state of panic and desperation, Light frantically called his friends, explaining the dire situation. The Lost Command Boys united in their concern for Pearl's well-being, swiftly arranged for an emergency airlift to the nearest hospital on Lidingö Island.

As they waited for the medical assistance to arrive, Light, overwhelmed by guilt and fear, couldn't hold back his tears. The weight of the unknown circumstances surrounding Pearl's unconscious state and the haunting ---Adieu mon amour, Light on the photo fueled his sense of responsibility.

Light (whispering to himself): "I should have been there for her. What did I miss? Why would she say goodbye? This is all my fault."

The air in the cottage became thick with tension, and the sound of approaching sirens signaled the arrival of the medical team. Light's heartache and remorse lingered, casting a shadow over what was supposed to be a journey of reconciliation. Now, it became a race against time to unravel the mysteries behind Pearl's condition and the farewell message---  adieu mon amour, Light.

The helicopter arrived urgently, and Pearl was swiftly lifted to the nearest hospital. Light, anxiously waiting for any news, felt a mixture of relief and anxiety as the medical team took charge.

Later, the doctor approached Light with a solemn expression, delivering the difficult diagnosis. The collapse was caused by a drug overdose, casting a shadow of shock and concern over Light. The revelation opened a floodgate of questions, leaving Light grappling with the realization that there was more to Pearl's struggle than he had been aware of.

The hospital corridor echoed with the weight of the news, and Light, haunted by guilt and a sense of responsibility, knew that the journey ahead involved not only physical recovery for Pearl but also the intricate process of healing and understanding the complexities of the challenges she faced.