CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: CRUEL SUMMER

I sat on the cold black tile floor and gently stroked the roses that had withered a few days ago with the tips of my fingers. I closed my eyes, letting myself be embraced by the sweet and warm summer breeze that enveloped the citadel of Alba. I had grown accustomed to the winter climate of New York, its electric storms, and its overcast gray skies. It was my favorite weather. But I had to admit that Alba was starting to permeate my skin more and more, and I liked the feeling.

I rested my chin on the black iron railing and looked down. The smell of salt from the sea clashed with my cheeks, in a counterproductive effect to the fragrance that the castle garden emitted. Definitely a different odor than what I would get if I stuck my head out the window in Manhattan.

My room was on the top floor, from there I could see how the world became small and ephemeral. The vines climbed up the white stone and brushed against my feet, tickling me. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with the magic that lived in this place. The maids had tidied my room earlier, leaving an unusually charming coconut scent. They had arranged my Axis uniforms, a set of gray shirts with their delicately embroidered golden triquetra, black stretchy pants that seemed to be a size smaller than I needed, and a pair of brand-new black boots.

I had left my hair loose, letting it dance with the wind. For the first time since my mind had started to wander months ago, I could sense an unusual and persistent tranquility. Almost as if all the pieces in the puzzle were starting to align to fit. I had to admit that if this was what positivity felt like, I should try it more often.

Yes, of course, the sudden loss of Loki still hurt. The memory of my brother became more recurrent, and I still hadn't fully assimilated the lie to which I had been subjected for the last ten years. But if I set that aside, I was starting to like this strange and magical world.

"Do you ever ask for permission to enter, or do you just believe you have the right to be invited?"

He smiled, leaning with all his weight against the wall, his dimples standing out strongly over his scar that seemed to respond to the moonlight.

"My purpose in entering without announcing myself is that maybe I'll get in when you're changing."

In less time than it took me to blink, I raised my hand and invisibly closed the balcony door, making it hit him on his backside, almost sending him to the floor face-first. Luckily, he had strong legs and planted his feet before falling to my side. He smiled, but his eyes reflected some confusion. He didn't seem angry but rather puzzled. The amber light from my room kissed his face like the morning sunbeams, and I had to admit he looked much more attractive than the day I met him.

"How is it possible that you can do that? You're something incredible, Amity."

I shrugged.

"That's for you to learn not to mess with me."

"I already know I shouldn't mess with you, Amy. Why do you think I feel so drawn to your room at night?"

I shook my head as he found a spot beside me. He mimicked my action and rested his chin lightly on the iron bars, looking down as if he were at the top of a roller coaster. His disheveled curls fell forward. I liked seeing him unkempt.

"I don't understand how I can feel so comfortable around you. I'm usually like a cat; it takes me time to get used to people."

"Strange comparison, Seren."

I sought his gaze in the dim light; it was the first time he called me by my old name.

"I'm sorry," he met me halfway, "I used to call you Seren only when I wanted to bother you and get under your skin. If I managed to get on your nerves. Fortunately, you didn't have your gift back then; you would have hung me from the tallest tower with just a glance."