CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE: CALM

I sat at the edge of his bed, hands on my face, hiding the blush on my cheeks. I had seen Ekaitz in the auditorium today, and I still couldn't erase his perfect smile and those beautiful blue eyes timidly watching me from my mind. Of course, he had mocked it; it was his favorite hobby.

"You're an idiot. I don't know why we're friends."

"Because no one else but me and Ben want to be your friends," he replied. "It's not like you have a lot of options."

"Christian is also my friend."

"Christian is your brother; that doesn't count. I don't tell others that Lana is my friend."

I rolled my eyes, leaning back the rest of my body, and the corners of Eamon's smile appeared. His room always smelled like fresh green apples; I guessed it was because of his shampoo, and I liked it. Green apple was my favorite fruit. The mattress beside me sank, and he focused his huge eyes in my direction. I hated how green they were. I hated suspecting that color had been invented just for him. I sometimes hated everything about him, if it weren't for the fact that he was one of my best and loyal friends, I would have told him to go to hell a long time ago.

"Seren..." he bumped his shoulder against mine, knowing how much I hated that name. "Don't be sad; you'll make more friends in Axis. They're just intimidated by you and your princess title."

His voice was so high-pitched and irritating. After all, he was only nine years old, just like Ben and my brother, but their voices didn't bother me, only his did.

"Maybe later, you can make them your friends by asking your grandfather to decree something. After all, I think it's the only way you'll manage."

I gave him a firm elbow to his ribs, and his painful groan filled the room. Internally, I would have been glad if not for the fact that a part of me believed his words were true.

"Amity... you're lucky I can't hit you, not because you're a kid, but because outside the auditorium, they could decapitate me for doing it."

I rolled my eyes at Eamon once again, and I felt the sunset light hitting his eyes, caressing the golden specks in them. My heart raced for just a second, and I dug my nails into my palms. Mom had asked me to stop doing that, but I couldn't help it; it was the only way I could return to reality, trying not to fall into the gentle hands of magic. Even if this time, it was provoked by his eyes.

"I will always be your friend, Amy," Eamon whispered. His brow was furrowed; he had noticed the blood trickling from my hands. "You will always have me."

The sunlight rested on my eyelids, inviting me to open them, as if it wanted to tell me that its golden layer protected us from all harm, even from those I caused myself.

"Amy, please wake up —her voice pleading—. You're starting to scare me."

Her gentle smile on her red lips was the first to greet me. Her hazel eyes lit up as they noticed mine opening. My body was numb, but the pain had already disappeared, leaving only those scars I had always carried with me and refused to erase.

I shifted my gaze beyond her face, noticing that, on my nightstand, next to Loki's lilac necklace, rested my family's golden daggers, except for my mother's. Something inside me sank like a thousand-ton anchor. Remembering that, if they hadn't found it, Drahceb's dagger must still be hidden inside my boot.

The afternoon sun bathed the room in the color of joy, but that wasn't the feeling settling in my chest. Yes, I was happy to be back to reality and bring with me the memories of my childhood in Alba, but something was out of focus, and I didn't know what was causing it.