CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: INK AND PAPER

I still didn't know how I would end Drahceb, let alone where. But if there's one thing I learned during the years when my mind jumped from one fantasy story to another, it's that it would probably happen when I least expected it. Hell, it might even surprise me. My mind was still entangled between truths and lies. The taste of bile seemed to linger in my mouth after the enlightening conversation with my mother. I had decided to leave her in the dungeon for a while longer, with better accommodations, as I could better protect her if the spies in Albus believed I still distrusted her. I would even visit her at night to extract as much information as possible about Drahceb and his minions. I needed to sit in that dark corner of her mind and find out what he had planned for me. I had to move and think like him.

My boots were caked with the damp soil of Phoenix, lingering in its last days before the rebirth of a new year, a new spring. The sweet melody of birds hopping on the pine tree tops and the intoxicating sound of the waves reaching the shore had settled in the background of my mind like ambient music. Alba managed to lessen my nostalgia for New York, especially after spending some time there with its smell of garbage, sewer rats, and that constant metal noise as if we were inside a giant machine. However, I couldn't help but feel guilty for not missing the city that never sleeps because the truth is that it had seen me reborn and would always be my home.

Now, Phoenix would be my auditorium for the next few days. I wanted to make sure to focus every hour of my day on sharpening my instincts and taking full control of my gift. When my power returned in full, I wanted to be able to take its reins. Letting it run like a wild horse would only bring trouble.

"My life would be so much easier if I didn't have to chase you all the time."

"I don't remember asking you to" I replied without stopping.

"No, I just do it because I'm crazy about your vanilla scent."

My ears had been trained to recognize the moment when the creaking of his steps followed me. Just waiting for his annoyance to hit me. The sweet and desperate taste of his licorice kisses still lingered on my lips. The night before, he had bared his wrists to me, but my mind kept reminding me of every deception, every look, and every unspoken word. Establishing that our relationship needed refinement. I couldn't stand lies, and he had done nothing but tell them from day one. Besides, I couldn't deny that since Ekaitz had entered my life, he had managed to create an imbalance in it, confusing my heart. The same heart that hadn't felt this stirred up since Jayden, and although half the time I managed to erase him from my periphery, I had bigger problems to deal with than an ex-boyfriend and two supposed candidates.

The hours shared through glances with Ekaitz in a understood silence, and the chilling tension I experienced in my muscles every time Eamon was around, managed to awaken that Amity living between ink and paper. Even despite the lies, arrogance, stubbornness, silence, scars, and those damn enchanting green eyes, they couldn't contradict the leaps my heart took every time I saw him. I wasn't sure if I could say the same every time Ekaitz looked at me with that eternal blue. Somehow, my heartbeats were painted in emerald.

Here we go again, losing track, I thought, observing those coppery curls, forgetting that this wasn't the time for wandering thoughts. I had a purpose to achieve, to avenge the ghost of the happy family we might have once been.

"I have two questions," Eamon said, and I focused my attention on his angelic face. "The first is, where are you going? And the second, can I kiss you?"

I released the air from my lungs with courage. I had to stay grounded if I wanted to have a serious conversation with Eamon.

"No, although it sounds tempting..." I licked my lips, remembering the night before. "I can't let you because it's not what I need right now."