F I F T Y - O N E

I huffed for the thousandth time as I struggled to follow the video tutorial on how to apply eyeshadow. The woman in the video made it look so easy but in reality, it's easy if a person actually knows how to use makeup. I was in the minority of women who didn't. I felt this desire to learn mainly because of the date I was going on. And I also wanted to (eventually) learn for myself since I should know how to apply some sort of makeup. I rewinded the video again, even slowing it down so that I could closely follow the woman's process. The bathroom sink was in disarray as it was filled with a bunch of hair products and makeup. I wanted to start getting ready as early as possible to defeat the pressure of running time.

I had an outfit ready, which was great. I knew what I was going to do with my hair. I was just going to use a heat brush to soften and style it, which wouldn't take long as it's a basic hairstyle. The makeup was the only part that was an issue. In the span of almost an hour, I managed to fail numerous times at applying the eyeshadow. I wanted a soft look since I couldn't do much but I had no clue of what I was doing in the first place. I, at least wanted to look presentable for tonight's date but I guess movie star makeup was out the window. I mean, I couldn't expect it to come out perfect. I stood in front of the mirror and decided on just sticking with foundation and lipstick. Everything else was going to have to be practiced on in the future.

I looked at the time, seeing that it was 6:40 PM. Alex was coming to get me at exactly 7:00. I sat on my bed in my towel, looking at my outfit. It was an ensemble that consisted of a honey colored cardigan that reached the top of my knee, a black blouse, light blue jeans, and dark brown combat boots. I looked at myself in the mirror, making a full 360 at my body. If only I had a roommate to give a second opinion. I think I looked great though. I don't think it was too fancy, but it looked cute. I needed something to make it look less...basic though. I put on a gold chain necklace to top off the look, feeling completely satisfied. I walked back into the bathroom and applied the heat brush to my hair, styling into a low puff. I gelled it down and fluffed it out with a pick. I playfully shook my hair, laughing at my puff swinging back and forth.

I looked closely at my face in the mirror, mixing my foundation a bit more and applying a light coat of mascara. I stood back and turned my face to see its entirety. Not bad, I thought. I only hoped that my face wouldn't grease up in like five minutes. I puckered my lips and fixed my sweater. Okay, now I'm done. I sat down in the living room as it was about ten minutes to the next hour. I could smell the pungent scent of the flowers on the coffee table. They were sitting comfortably in the water and it was a pretty sight to look at every time I walked by. I looked out the window and could see the darkness settling in. The stars weren't out yet but they would be coming out soon. I stared off into space, amazed at the sky as it resembled a blank canvas. I could imagine anything in my mind and it'd almost look like it appeared.

After a little while, there was a knock on the door. I hopped up, taking one more look at myself in the bathroom mirror. I grabbed a light jacket, a dark brown crossbody purse, and my phone and answered the door. Alex stood there, towering over me with a big smile on his face. His dark-brown hair was gelled back, leaving a few strands to fall in front of his face. He was dressed in a black jean jacket with a beige knitted pullover sweater underneath. A silver cross chain hung around his neck. His legs were clad with a pair of black jeans and his feet with white Nike Air Forces. Overall, he looked amazing!

"You look breathtaking," he complimented, his eyes skimming my outfit. His cheeks blushed when he looked into my eyes.

"Thank you," I shyly responded with a laugh. "You look very handsome. I feel blessed to be seen with you."

Alex also shyly chuckled, pulling a box of chocolates from behind his back and giving them to me, "For you, since you're so sweet."

I gasped, taking the red heart-shaped box from him, "How'd you know I like chocolate?"