N I N E T E E N

*TRIGGER WARNING: Mentions of almost-sexual assault depicted in this chapter. Please read at your own risk or skip!*

Sitting in class listening to Maureen speak was the encouragement I needed to keep going. I finally had my fashion institute application done, and I don't know how. I just remember sitting down and filling it out just because I was bored. I figured why would I pass up such an awesome opportunity? I may never come across it again. While doing homework, I finished it. I think thinking about it for a bit made me realize that time is ticking and that life is short. This was the time where I was supposed to take risks. When I filled out the application, I felt content knowing that I had a solid idea of where I was going to be for the summer.

"We're getting closer to the end of the semester, everyone. You've all done a wonderful job. I want you all to pick a piece that you're proud of and showcase it at the next art exhibit. If you want to create something new, go for it," She announced. "You have until November 4th. The exhibit will be on Friday the 8th."

Hmmm, an art exhibit? I raised my eyebrows at the idea. Maybe this would be a great chance for me to showcase my jacket. Although it still needed to be finished, it's one of the best works I've done so far.

Class ended and students were taking their mannequins with them. I went up to Maureen and handed her the fashion institute application. She smiled at me, with the corners of her mouth up to her eyes and took the application.

"You've made a decision?" She gasped. I nodded with a small grin.

"I'm proud of you for taking a step forward. If you do get accepted, which I believe you will, it will teach you a lot about the fashion industry. I'm so glad you decided to take the opportunity." Maureen said.

She was right. Although I do think this opportunity is too good to be true, I think by focusing on it, I'll help me to stay positive and keep the motivation to grow more into my purpose. I felt special, like God himself tailored this just for me. I hoped that I wouldn't do anything to sabotage the opportunity. By filling out the application, I was telling myself that I was done playing games. This is what I wanted to do.

"Thanks for giving me the opportunity to apply." I replied. Maureen pushed her huge aviator glasses up a bit. They slowly slipped back to their previous position.

"You're special, Violet. I've never met a student like you, so humble yet blessed with a lot of great qualities. You'll go far and do big things. Wait on God." She complimented.

Wow...wait on God. That's the first she has ever said anything remotely religious to me.

"Thank you. That motivates me to keep going." I said, still with the corners of my mouth tugged upward. After ending that conversation, I walked out with my mannequin. I've gotten used to carrying it so it didn't even feel heavy.

Upon getting back to my dorm, I jumped once I saw Darius sitting on the couch. I used my free hand to put it over my heart in relief.

"You had me thinking you were someone else." I said breathlessly. I set the mannequin down by the door and smiled at him. Darius smirked at me and got up. He walked in front of me, slowly reaching down to give me a kiss on the cheek. He then moved his lips to the corner of my mouth. I licked my lips and pursed them. I was not sure about what I should be doing. Should I pull him in for a kiss?

I cleared my throat. "Um...who let you in?"

Darius smiled at me with his perfect set of pearly white teeth. His mouth looked like it smelled of mint.

"Your roommate. She was leaving and told me I could sit and wait for you." He replied. I opened my mouth slightly, nodding in understanding.

"Want anything to uh drink?" I quietly asked, walking over to the kitchen. Darius stared at me like a wild animal ready to pounce. He didn't want a drink. He wanted his prey, and this was the right time to get it. I looked like a piece of meat served on a platter, open to whoever wants to eat it. Ok, I know I'm not a piece of meat but I certainly looked like that to him right now.