E I G H T E E N

It's been a week since poetry night and I was still reaping the benefits. There were random people in the hallways that complimented me on my poem and Professor Winston would bring it up during class. I felt like I was in a Disney channel movie, where the main character does something really well and they become popular amongst other people at their school.

Though there were other students that performed, I felt like I was getting special attention. Even the flowers Kentara gave to me were still living. I'm not someone who knew how to take care of plants, so I tried my best to keep them alive. That included looking up videos online to show me how.

I currently sat in the living area, looking at the red roses in their vase on the windowsill. They had an adequate amount of water underneath them. I cut the stems a bit shorter so that they'd be able to fit. I stared at how they were splayed in the vase. They were beautiful for the time being and added to the mood of the room. A little decoration went a long way. I looked down at them for a little while more before returning back to what I was doing. The fashion institute's packet sat before me, waiting for my approval, the pen, to write across its pages. All I wrote down so far was basic information, such as my name, date of birth, stuff like that.

After poetry night, I spent a lot of time reflecting on my opportunities. It's not often that someone sees your potential and offers a chance to go intern at a reputable school. I was happy about this chance, but I couldn't help but feel my head being tugged in two places.

One part of me wanted to grow some more before taking on such a huge venture. I guess I didn't feel like I was ready. I was only a freshman. Of course I'd been designing clothes for a while, but maybe freshman year was too early for me to start something so...professional. Another part was curious to see where writing would take me. Poetry night was only a taste of what I could imagine. How would I do writing full blown stories? I'd imagine that I'd be training my mind to think creatively which wouldn't be so difficult since my brain knew how to brainstorm for my designs. I looked down at the packet in front of me, letting out a sigh in despair. Where was God going to take me? Should I take this opportunity because of what my teacher wants? Or should I decide based on how I feel?

I had until the rest of the semester to think clearly about my decision so I had more than enough time. Ultimately, it was up to me to decide where I was going to be spending my summer vacation. Right now, I had no idea. I closed the packet, mentally making a note to come back to it later. I knew I kept holding off on it, but I really needed to think about what my plans are.

Kentara walked out of her room with her book bag. She didn't even look my way, but instead walked back and forth, frantically looking for something.

She dropped her book bag to the ground and opened it up, taking everything out. Papers, notebooks, pencils, pens, and napkins scattered all over the ground. She mumbled incoherent words under her breath, sucking her teeth in the process.

"You okay?" I asked. Kentara stopped to look up at me. Her forehead was wrinkled.

"I can't find my notes for my presentation. I literally have to present today in like ten minutes." She replied. She looked back down at the mess she made, throwing papers around like she was digging through trash.

"Do you have it on a file on your computer?" I asked. She stopped for a moment and stared into space.

"I actually do," she replied. "But my laptop is dead and I'm not gonna have enough time to boot it up and print out another copy. I have to get to class earlier."

"Nonsense. Send it to me real quick and I can print it out for you." I offered. Kentara furrowed her eyebrows at me.

"You have your own printer?" She asked. I nodded, showing her a big set of teeth.