First Day

Key smiled as he looked around at the place that he would call his home for the next four years. He had told his parents that they hadn't had a choice in where he went to school. They weren't happy about it but neither of them had the right to say anything. He had too much dirt on them. He took a deep breath and started walking. Once he got to his dorm building, he realized that everyone was walking past it with their bags. He found it weird. He only thought about it for a moment before shaking it off and heading into the building. It was basically empty as he stepped into the elevator. When he reached his floor, he got out of the elevator and looked around. Half of the floor was blocked off, only leaving six rooms. He couldn't help but find the entire situation weird. He walked over to room 501 and knocked. No one answered so he opened the door with his keycard. Inside, he saw that there was one bed. There was a smile on his face when he realized that he didn't have a roommate. He was originally told he had one. He wondered what could have changed. He sat his bag down on the floor and fell back onto his bed. There were only a few moments of silence before he heard footsteps in the hallway. Along with those footsteps was a voice. It was deep and cold. He stood up from his bed and walked over to the door, hesitantly opening it. A guy was standing in front of the door that was across from him. There was a scowl on his face. He looked pissed off. Key relaxed and leaned against the door frame. The other guy hung up the phone. As if the guy felt him watching, he turned around. Key searched his face. He could tell that the guy had been crying. His eyes were bloodshot.

"I apologize if I disturbed you. I've had a long day." Key shook his head with a smile. Key had had a long day too but he was sure it couldn't have been as bad as the guy standing in front of him. There was no reason to put him more on edge. What was weird, is that Key felt like he knew the guy. He had never met him but the guy felt familiar in a way. In fact, in front of this complete stranger, Key felt safe in a way. He closed his eyes for a moment and then opened them again. The guy's emotions were all over the place. He was clearly frustrated but he also seemed sad.

"You didn't bother me. You just sounded angry so I figured I would come out and check on you." A ghost of a smile appeared on the guy's face.

"Thank you. I'm alright now." Key nodded his head with a smile.

"I'm Key." The guy raised a brow. "Ah, I haven't used my real name in years." The guy nodded with understanding.

"I'm Minho. It's nice to meet you." The guy known as Minho held out his hand. Key shook it. Key noticed how rough and calloused his hand was.

"Can I maybe ask a weird question?" Minho chuckled before nodding.

"Do you play a guitar or any kind of string instrument?" Minho was surprised by the question.

"How did you know that I play the guitar?"

"Your hand. It's calloused really bad."

"Ah. Okay. Yeah, I suppose that would give it away." Key only realized then that he was still holding Minho's hand. He released it, quickly and stood straight.

"May I ask how old you are?" Minho looked down at his hand with a frown. He hadn't ever felt that kind of feeling from simply shaking hands with someone. It was only a moment before he cleared his throat and answered Key's question.

I'm 19." Key smiled.

"So you're my senior? I'm 18." Minho still hadn't gotten over the feeling of Key's touch as he continued the conversation.

"That would be correct." Minho saw the sparkle in Key's eyes and became curious. Minho had never seen such curiosity before. His world had always been dull. Well, at least when his parents weren't hurting him. He didn't have siblings so he had always been alone. He had never known someone with such innocence and pain in his eyes. His heart clenched at the feeling.