Chapter 21

Will's gut warped and he closed his eyes tightly at Jack's affirmative answer. There was nothing Will could do to stop the overwhelming idea that he had been the very cause for Hannibal's traumas. If Will had never existed then Hannibal's family would still be alive. There was no point in thinking such superfluous thoughts when Will had no control over his own birth, but the events had been set up since the very beginning.

Did Hannibal know yet? Will had not gone through the rest of the papers they had pulled from the study yet, his mind far too focused on the Elizabeth debacle. He supposed he could write a letter to Hannibal, but he was unsure if it would reach the man before he had to come home.

There was a breath of relief at the realization. Hannibal would be home soon. A week or two depending on how swiftly he could finish up business and how kind the seas were. And if his father was sending for Hannibal, then he was certain to be home sooner rather than later.

It hadn't registered how badly he had missed the man until the thought of him walking through those castle doors was within reach. It would take everything in his person not to rush to Hannibal the moment he stepped into the main hall. To allow his father to welcome the man home, for him to bow to Will and excuse himself to be cleaned up and rest after such a long journey, and for Will to slip away and corner the man in his chambers.

"I have been instructed to make sure that Mason is removed from the throne," Jack announced to the room, though it was meant more for Bella than Will.

"That's incredibly foolish," Bella scolded.

"Sanford is right," Will cut in, calling both eyes to him. "I was planning on a similar outcome."

"To remove Mason from the throne is a death sentence." Bella's argument was loud and firm. "You've met the boy. He is nothing but a corrupt monster. He is cruel and will not hesitate to end you if he catches even a hint of what you are planning."

"If I am to rule, he cannot be in my way." Will rose to his feet. "And whether Jack takes care of Mason, or I complete the task with my own hands, he will be removed from the throne."

"William, let us think about this." Bella's cautions fell heavy in the small room.

"There is nothing to think about." Will waved away the concerns and folded his arms over his chest. "What I need to know is if I can trust you."

"Trust us?" Bella tipped her head to the side.

"When I take this kingdom and the other either by marriage or by force, will you be with me or against me? Will you let my secret out? Will I be fighting this war with you for me or against me?"

"By force?" Jack questioned. There was something suspicious in his voice.

"Mason may not be the only one I need out of my way."

"This doesn't sound like you, William." Bella rose to her feet. One of her hands took his shoulder and the other his cheek so her dark eyes could look over him. "You-"

"-am only doing what must be done," Will excused, pulling carefully from her grip. "The moment I am married, we need to strike. It very well could be the only chance we have. We have two weeks' time to plan it. I will need an answer by then." Will turned to leave the room, but stopped when Jack spoke, the same suspicion lacing his tone.

"And if we are not with you?"

"I would advise against it," Will warned, opening the door.

"You look rather happy," Will commented as he entered the kitchen. James, Brian, and Beverly were gathered around one of the baskets of apples that had been picked and were each snacking on one. "What happened?"