Chapter 24

"You need to rest," Chilton grumbled, squeezing the rag back into the bowl. The water dripped, ruby red from the cloth. "And we need to check your face in the morning and possibly have you take some herbs to help with the scarring."

"I have work to do," Will muttered, his jaw aching from the movement.

"You are in no condition to do anything but lay in bed," Chilton pressed in exasperation. "Alana, will you talk some sense into him? Please."

"Will, there is nothing that is so urgent that it cannot wait until at least morning," Alana said as she rubbed more ointment over the bruising across Will's ribs. Will hissed through his teeth and winced at the touch, but he did his best to sit still. "You will rest tonight."

Will shook his head and pushed himself from the chair he was in, waving off the work the two were doing. He inhaled deeply, letting the pain in his ribs breathe life to the rage in his blood.

"I have work to do tonight." He attempted to take a step, but his legs gave out and he groaned in pain as Alana swiftly got under him. "Shit!" He was lowered back into the chair, breathing hard. "I don't have time to sit here."

"You're unable to stand without support," Chilton scolded. "You are not going anywhere tonight."

"Alana, give me my shirt, please." Will waved blindly towards Alana, his other hand rubbing his face. His fingers traced over the damp fabric that had been placed over the stitched up gashes across his left cheek. The touches sent twinges of pain through his skull. He pulled them away and held them out to Chilton who took them.

The fabric was given to Will and he sat up, pulling his shirt over his body. It clung to his skin from the ointment, but he was indifferent. "Chilton, I don't care what you do tonight. Do what you will. Alana, I would highly advise that you return to your chambers and you do not reappear until morning. Do I make myself clear?"

Alana's eyes flickered over the prince curiously. She tipped her head to the side and shook her head. "I don't understand."

"Do as I am instructing you to do. You and your son do not leave that room until morning. No matter what you hear happening on the other side of the door." Will inhaled deeply and once more pushed himself from the chair, pulling his shirt into a bit more of a comfortable position. He closed his eyes as he took a step, testing his boundaries. His knee buckled, but he caught himself before he tumbled over.

"Will," Alana hissed, coming closer, her hands taking his bruised arms to support him. "I do not-"

"I am not asking you, Alana. As your prince, I am commanding that you obey me." Will straightened upright, casting a look over to Chilton who was staring at him as well. It was clear that they understood, but Chilton looked as if he didn't believe Will could actually do it. Will couldn't blame the man. He felt like his body was ready to fall apart at the limbs and dissolve into nothing. "You both are dismissed. Will you send Brian or James to me, please?"

Alana opened her mouth to argue, but swiftly shut it again. She stepped closer to Will, a hand reaching out to carefully brush a curl away from his face. "Be careful," she whispered before turning away and heading for the door.

Chilton slowly began gathering up his tools, the needle and thread among them. He grabbed the bottle of amber liquid and Will held out his hand for it. Chilton paused, but slowly passed it over to Will who pressed the bottle to his lips and downed as much as his body would allow him before the sting of the alcohol became far too strong and bitter in his mouth.

"You're being reckless, Your Highness," Chilton said as he took the bottle that was handed back to him. "I don't often give you my opinions as it is not my place, but if you do what you are thinking about doing tonight, it will not solve anything. I will most likely be seeing you back in here for another-"