Chapter 1

The once empty dining table was now packed with people.

The silence replaced by the inaudible talks.

It was summer. And during summers the kings of neighbour lands and lands far away come to meet at a place just to enjoy, discuss and boast about themselves. Like a CARNIVAL.

It is a kind of a ritual that has been there for ages, it started with the idea of joining kingdoms... by marriage. I wasn't really bothered about that... well, until now.

The opinion changed this summer when the King of the Cene Empire decided to host this event at our palace.

The King of the Cene Empire, my dad, believed to find me a proper Kingdom.

People usually find suitable grooms, but there is no such word here, princesses and princes find suitable kingdoms to rule.

I was sitting at the edge of the dining table, slowly sipping the red wine feeling it go down my throat as I tried to avoid myself into any of the conversations around me. The royalties of many kingdoms that had arrived few hours ago were now sipping down the costly drinks and speaking things that I always have found bullshit.

After what seemed like eternity, the dinner was over and I rushed towards my room not waiting for my father to tell anything. I was almost drunk after sipping all that wine.

Instead of going through the doors of my room and falling on the comfy mattress, I marched towards the rooftop on my side of the castle.

The rooftop is the only place where I can really be alone... As cliché as it is, the rooftop is the best part of this entire palace besides the kitchen.

I open the door to the abandoned rooftop and walk to the edge to see an unfamiliar figure in the darkness of the night. Guess the rooftop wasn't going to be abandoned tonight. The night was rather chilly and cold.

"Who are you?" the unwelcomed visitor questioned. Based on the voice, it was of a male.

"I'm afraid, I should be the one asking that question. Who are you and why aren't you downstairs?"

"It seems like we both are here just to excuse ourselves from that so called meet downstairs" he replied, turning his back on me and again facing the sky as if he trusted me to not do anything.

"Why would you be so annoyed by that? Not like you are being disadvantaged by it." I wondered if he was also being forced into marriage. Not expecting any reply, I positioned myself to look at the sky as well.

"Not really advantageous either. And the lavishness of this doesn't suit me." He answered, not bothering to look my way.

"Guess I'm not the only one with that opinion" I smiled his way as I could see a smile dancing on his lips as well.

"I feel there is something else bothering you, princess" he said after few silent minutes. There's no questioning if I'm a princess or not or if he's a prince, our attires say it all.

"Why do you feel so?"

"Let me guess, you are being forced into marriage?" he guessed but it seemed like he already knew. He took a few steps towards me till he was just beside me.

We both were looking at each other now that we could finally see our faces. His features were god-like. Dark eyes, sharp brows, dark black hair.

He then turned himself back towards the sky and I did the same.

We stayed there, in that position for a while, not speaking anything. Embracing the silence.

"Yeah.." I accepted. I somehow felt comfortable sharing my secrets with this stranger.