Chapter 2: Roger, Brian and Freddie

The next morning, I entered my math class and took a seat next to the blond guy from yesterday.

"Is that your natural hair colour?" he asked.

I looked down at my wavy brown hair and smiled. "Yeah."

"It's fabulous," he said and I grinned.

"Thank you," I said and opened up my notebook.

"See, this is the colour I want." he said bringing his head closer to mine. I fought back a giggle at his action.

"This is Elton John, and he's basically too gay to function," the blonde girl said and I greeted Elton who gave me a big smile.

"Nice wig Joni, what's it made of?" a guy teased and she turned around.

"Your mum's moustache!" She clapped back before turning to me with a smile. "I'm Joni Mitchell."

"Hi, I'm Deaky. Do you guys know where room G14 is?" I asked, looking at my schedule.

I handed Elton my schedule, and he read it aloud: "Health, Tuesday and Thursday, room G14."

"I reckon it's in the back building," Joni said looking at Elton who looked at her confused.

"Oh yeah it's in the back building," he smiled.

"Yeah we'll take you there," Joni offered and I smiled at her.

"Thank you." I said and bell rang, signalling that class was about to start.

After class, Joni and Elton walked me to class.

"Watch out please! New meat coming through!" Elton announced as we made our way down the crowded corridors. It amazed me how everyone went from class to class through such a crowd. We wound up outside, and Elton read my schedule.

"Health, Latin, and you're taking Year 12 calculus?" he asked, astounded.

"Yeah, I like math." I responded as he screwed up his face in disgust.

"Ugh, why?"

"It's the same in every country." I responded.

"That's beautiful." He said, sitting on the grass with Joni.

"Dude's deep."

I looked around and noted that we're the only ones outside.

"Where's the back building?" I asked.

"It burned down 2 years ago." Joni replied.

I looked at her confused. "Wouldn't we get into trouble for this?" I asked. I didn't want to blow off class on the second day!

"Why would we get you into trouble? We're your friends." she responded, and I looked around again.

I know it's wrong to skip class, but Joni said we're friends. And I was in no position to pass up friends. I suppose I'll never know what I missed on that first day of health class.

~~~~

"Don't have sex, 'cos you'll get pregnant and die! Don't do it in the missionary position, don't do it standing up, just don't do it! Promise? Ok everybody take some rubbers." Coach Prenter said to his class.

~~~~

"Why don't your folks keep homeschooling you?" Joni asked.

"They want me to get socialised," I replied, and she nodded in understanding.

"Oh you'll get socialised alright, a spicy munchkin like yourself," Elton said and I tilted my head in confusion. What's a munchkin?

"You're a regulation beauty." Joni said and I blushed.