Chapter 48 - Happily Ever After?

I walk from the clearing, moving my hands through the air as I feel nature's magic running through it

It was quiet. Too quiet.

As I walked deeper into the forest, the silence became even more pronounced. The birds had stopped their chirping, and even the rustling of the leaves beneath my feet seemed to be muffled.

I feel as if I am walking in the dream of another.

As I continued to walk, I became more and more aware of the eerie stillness that surrounded me. It was as if the entire forest was holding its breath, waiting for something to happen.

The same feeling that I have been feeling for weeks.

The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end as I sense a presence behind me.

I turn around, but there is nothing there. Just the trees and the darkness that looms beyond them.

I turn back around, looking at the view in front of me.

"You said the Hollow is gone. If that is true, why are you still here." I ask the Enchantress as I hold my breath.

The Enchantress remained silent for a moment, her eyes fixed on a nearby tree. Then, without turning to face me, she spoke in a low voice.

"You know why. The Hollow may have been a part of the reason I came back. But it wasn't the full reason."

I feel a shiver run down my spine as the Enchantress's words sink in.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

The Enchantress finally turned to face me, her eyes piercing and intense.

"Phoebe...." She drags out and at that moment I knew why she had come back.

Me.

She had come back because my mind believed I needed her.

"I am fine," I tell her, sternly.

The Enchantress raised an eyebrow at me. "Are you really? You know, Phoebe, I live that mind of yours. And when something is wrong, I know it."

I feel a knot form in my stomach as I realize that the Enchantress was right. I had been struggling with my mental health for some time now, and I had been trying to hide it from everyone, including myself. But the Enchantress had always been able to see through my façade.

She knew me better than anyone else.

She knew my deepest fears and darkest secrets.

I try to push her words away, but they linger in my mind like a haunting melody.

"You don't have to hide from me, Phoebe. Let me help you."

I felt tears forming in my eyes as I looked at her.