Fourteen

"Oh...O...OK," Yu Jin stammered in trepidation and mindlessly nodded his head.

Fortunately, after epinephrine being administered, the heart rate of the boy was finally restored and he gradually passed the critical stage. Shortly after that, the CS doctors arrived and had some talking with Chae Won. Once things had been settled, the patient was moved to the CS department.

"Phew...he's safe for now," Chae Won said in relief.

About nearly half an hour later, Dr. Jeon scurried back to the ER with a furious face. His eyes were scowling at only Chae Won, but even Yu Jin was also terrified by his scary stare. Observing Dr. Jeon's demeanour, Yu Jin knew for sure that his bold and daring supervisor was in big trouble.

"Chae Won, come here and talk to me right now!" He angrily said.

"Y...yes doctor," she submissively said and walked to where Jung Kook was standing.

"Why did you administer intravenous epinephrine to the high school boy without consulting me?"

"I...I...I was ju..."

"Who gave you the permission to do that?" Jung Kook raised his voice.

"I was just t...thinking that the boy was in danger but I couldn't call you. His oxygen level was also dropping so I thought..."

"Then you could have just waited for the CS people to arrive, right? Why didn't you do it then?"

"I...I...I thought that delaying the treatment would be more risky so..."

"Do remember what we told you when you first came here? If you don't know what to do, then just do nothing. Did you consider the risk of hypertension, hypokalemia or anaphylaxis when you gave it to him?"

"I..I am sorry, doctor," she puckered her lips and clasped her hands together while her eyes were fixed on the ground.

"Meet me in my office after your shift is done," he sighed heavily and told her.

Looking at the unfolding scene and seeing Chae Won being scolded, Yu Jin felt the urgent need to do something to alleviate the tension, otherwise Chae Won would be facing a very severe punishment.

"Wait Dr. Jeon," Yu Jin suddenly ran over to where Jung Kook and Chae Won were standing, "It was my fault, so please don't scold her."

"What?" Jung Kook looked at him with suspicion, "Are you trying to be a hero now or what?"

"I was the one who suggested giving the boy epinephrine. I realised that his oxygen level was dropping too fast so I thought that I needed to do something. Waiting for the CS people to arrive would probably be more threatening for the patient. Chae Won was flustered and didn't know what to do so she agreed with my idea. Her action was a last resort so please don't scold her. It's my fault," he said and bowed his head while Chae Won was staring at him, shocked by his unexpected decision.

"Yu Jin, do you really remember the do-no-harm principle that Dr. Lee taught you? And Chae Won, how many years are you ahead of Yu Jin? Are you really so incompetent that you need to listen to a pre-uni intern's instruction?"

All of the interns remained silent and looked at Dr. Jeon with a guilty expression.

"I know this was partly my fault as I was busy working in the ICU and was not looking after the ER but...If I report this to Dr. Lee, you both are going to be in big trouble. Now come back to work, I'll deal with you guys later," he sighed and shook his head.