Chapter 2: Work Sucks, I know

The day is a blur of phone calls, spreadsheets, e mails, and databases at Kate's glamorous job as an accounts payable specialist and while time doesn't exactly "fly", it is over before she knows it and she's rushing out the door to get home and get Cassidy to soccer practice.

Second shift.

"A working mother's job is never done." She thinks as she turns up the music in her car and drives home, decompressing from the day.

A short time later she's pulling into the driveway and heading up the front walk when she hears a commotion inside the house. Bracing herself for the usual fighting that her two headstrong girls seem to always be in the midst of, she takes a deep breath and opens the front door.

"I'm home!" She alerts the empty front room.

"Mommy! I missed you!" Bella yells running to greet her.

"Mommy! Daddy won't let me have the iPad!" Cassidy roars, joining her sister and mother.

"Welcome home." She mutters to herself, charging forward to the kitchen and her awaiting husband.

Rick is in the midst of stirring a pot of pasta on the stove and attempting - despite the chaos in the house - to take a work call.

"I thought we already went over this last week, Rob. No. No, we did. If you guys can't figure it out on your own, you're going to have to wait for me to come out next Tuesday, but I thought you had it under control. Ok. Call me back."

As he hangs up the phone he looks at Kate.

"Welcome home?"

"You're going out of town again?" she asks, the disappointment dripping off every word.

"Just for a couple of days. I'm sorry, Kate. I need to train these guys and get some things cleared up."

When Kate doesn't say anything he says,"My mom is available to help with the kids. Please take her up on it."

Kate takes a deep breath before responding. "Ok. I appreciate her help. I'll probably take her up on it."

If it weren't for Rick's promotion - which she knew would require travel from time to time - they never would've been able to afford the new house they'd had been saving up for for several years. There was also a flexibility to his job that allowed Kate to take on a new position at work and branch out after fifteen years at the company and in the same position.

She knew these things, but it didn't make it any easier when he sprung these trips on her last minute.

"I'm going to go change my clothes before soccer." Kate says, walking towards the stairs.

*******************************************

Cassidy's team wins which - while great - means they are going to the semi finals and possibly the finals. Just add that to their already overpacked schedule.

She feels terrible for feeling this way, but being a parent - a working parent at that. And a mother at THAT - in 2023 really feels like a lot more wok than she has the patience for.

Patience. Isn't that what a mother is supposed to be? Supposed to have? She has never felt like a particularly patient parent (or human if she's being honest) but her patience hit an all time low in 2020 and as the world never truly got "back to normal", neither did her already depleted patience.

It's after 8 when she and Cass walk in the front door.

Rick and Bella are sitting at the kitchen island. Bella is halfheartedly studying her vocabulary words - this time for the larger Unit Test this Friday - with the TV on in the background while Rick absentmindedly plays with his phone.

"Daddy! We won! We're going to the semi finals on Friday!!" Cassidy exclaims, running to give Rick a hug and a high five.

"That's great news!" He replies. "Friday? Like, four days from now? Another soccer game this week?"

"That's the one." Kate answers, the frustration palpable.

"I've got some stuff to do before bed. Can you guys make sure the counter is cleaned up and lights are off before bed?" She asks as she turns toward the staircase.