Chapter 11: February 2004, Part 2

Brandon opens the door to "J.R.'s" and steps aside to allow Kate to enter first.

The popular bar and grill - only about fifteen minutes from her apartment - is surprisingly "hopping" and she's surprised when the hostess seats them immediately and with no wait.

"Prime seating!" Brandon says as he pulls Kate's chair out, waiting for her to be comfortably seated before joining her at his seat across the table from her.

"Your waitress tonight will be Holly and she'll be right back to take your drink orders." The hostess tells them, setting down two menus, one print out of tonight's specials and another form Kate doesn't recognize as she smiles briefly before quickly turning and walking away to greet the next customers who've arrived at the hostess stand.

"Why is it so busy here on a Tuesday?" She almost has to yell over the music which is originating from the DJ setup directly behind their table. She's reserving judgement for now, but she wouldn't necessarily agree with Brandon about this being "prime seating" for a first date.

"It's Trivia Tuesday!" He smiles. "Let's see what you've got, O'Conner!"

With that, Kate looks closer at the specials menu.

"Trivia Twosday", she laughs, reading over the assortment of two for one drink and appetizer specials. "Clever!"

Kate picks up the other sheet of paper the hostess dropped off and reads the banner - written in large, bold, capitalized font - that says, "Trivia Night" with Round One on the front and Round Two on the back, each with 10 lines for answers.

"So? What do you think?" Brandon asks Kate, dramatically holding his breath in anticipation.

Kate laughs. "I THINK the other teams better watch their backs!"

*******************************************

It's halfway through the second - and final - round of trivia and they've already scored the halftime winner round of drinks and are well on their way to the grand prize $50 gift card.

Kate is feeling just a little bit tipsy as she sips her Malibu and Diet Coke and tells Brandon, "I'm glad we came here. I'm having a really good time!"she still needs to shout to be heard over the music and the din of the excited crowd, but with a couple of drinks in her, it's turned into more of a screech.

Brandon uses the noisy bar as an excuse to pretend he couldn't quite hear her.

"What's that?" He asks. "You want to come here again, whether we win that gift card or not?"

"What? No, I said..." and realizing what he just said and the playful look on his face she laughs and agrees,"Yes. That's exactly what I said!"

"Ok, everyone, quiet!" Says the DJ. "Final question! One lucky team will be leaving here shortly with a $50 J.R's gift card AND the ever impressive BRAGGING rights. Wow your family, friends, co workers and dog walkers with the story of how you overcame a room full of people in varying degrees of inebriation with your sheer knowledge of trivial trivia. If that isn't the dream, ladies and gentlemen, well than I don't know what is."

Kate looks across the table at Brandon and rolls her eyes as if to say, "is this guy for real?" before the two burst out laughing together.

Despite the noisy bar, it must've been loud enough - and their proximity to his stand close enough - for the DJ to hear them. He turns briefly to look at the two - seemingly losing his footing for half a beat - before continuing on.

"Final question for a supersized ten points is..." a prerecorded drumroll sound plays over the speakers as he gets the crowd riled up. Unintelligible shouts are heard and hands are slapped on tables as DJ "DJ Tanner" - yeah, really. That's his name. - reads the final question. "This former boyband member released his very successful debut solo album on November 5, 2002. To be awarded the full 10 points, name the artist, the name of the album, AND the name of the band he was in."

The final Jeopardy theme plays over the speakers as she looks across the table at Brandon, a huge grin on her face.

"What?" He laughs. And then, "You know it!"

"You know I do! Have I let you down at all tonight?"

She hadn't. But neither had he. She brought her "A Game" for all things TV, Movies and Music and while he too was pretty sharp in all of these categories, he also had a solid knowledge of history and current events as well as sports trivia, her Achilles heel.

Writing, "Justin Timberlake. Justified. 'N SYNC." as fast as her excitedly shaking hand would allow, she quickly looked over the rest of the form.

"Ready?" She asked Brandon.

"As I'll ever be," he laughed, echoing her nervous excitement.

Picking up the answer sheet from in front of Kate, Brandon takes the two steps to the DJ booth to submit it before returning to their table.

"And now we wait," she says, her eyes growing a little larger in anticipation.

*******************************************
"So when do I get to cash in that $50 gift card?" Brandon asks Kate as he walks her up the front steps to her apartment door.

They had won the grand prize. And by a landslide. She couldn't remember the last time that she'd had this much fun, and truly couldn't wait to do it again.

"I'd like to do this again sometime. With or without trivia, but possibly not on a weeknight."

She yawns looking down at her watch. "Is it really 1 AM?!?" She thinks.

Trivia had ended at 10 PM, but they'd stayed until midnight chatting with each other as well as with their fellow trivia players and non participating diners who'd been impressed with their perfect trivia game. Even DJ "DJ Tanner" had congratulated them and told them he hoped to see them again soon. After leaving the bar, they'd chatted in his car for a bit before finally, slowly making their way back to her apartment.

"Well trivia boy," she smiles. "I had a blast but 6 AM will be here before I know it. Thank you for a really fun, official first date."

"I had a really great time too. You continue to wow me with your grasp of all things pop culture. I'd like to see you again soon."

With that he moves in for a hug, brushing her lips gently - and only slightly awkwardly - with his in a brief kiss before stepping back and saying, "Goodnight Katie. Thanks for the win!"

Turning away he heads back down her front steps and into his car.