Chapter 8: Party of One

Shifting the duffel bag on her shoulder, Kate swipes the keycard across the pad by the door handle and lets herself into the darkened hotel room.

Flipping the light switch by the door, the entranceway is illuminated and the expansive hotel suite comes into view.

"Wow!" She says out loud.

Not since their honeymoon has she been in a room this large. There is a bathroom inside the entranceway, a large sitting room with a kitchen (not just kitchenette!) off of it and as she continues into the bedroom, she sees a massive bathroom with a large jacuzzi and a separate "toilet room".

Walking over to the windows she opens the curtains and looks out at the sunset over downtown. Cars are slowly creeping down the main drag as pedestrians cross the street and walk down the busy sidewalks to their destinations.

Dropping her bag onto the floor she collapses onto the bed and looks up at the ceiling.

'I could get used to this.' She thinks. 'If I don't fall asleep first.'

After a moment of relaxation Kate sits up and unlocks her phone. Zero texts, zero missed calls. Just to be on the safe side, she reaches out to Rick.

"How is everything going?" She types.

Almost instantly she receives a text with a picture of Rick and the girls in a restaurant booth, Rick and Bella smiling and Cass making a crazy face.

"Going well! Just enjoying a post soccer game ice cream at Friendly's. How is the room?"

"Massive. I'll have to take some pictures before I check out."

"Awesome! I've got everything under control here. Please try to relax and enjoy yourself. Get something to eat, maybe check out the restaurant downstairs. I love you."

"I love you too."

She puts her phone back down on the bed and stands up, antsy with the silence and uninterrupted free time.

Deciding that while she needs "peace and quiet", it's a little too quiet so she turns on the TV searching for a music channel. She lands on an 80's VEVO channel playing "How Can I Fall?" by Breathe as she starts rummaging through her bag for her toiletries and something to wear.

Once she has an outfit laid out on the bed she takes her toiletries into the bathroom and fixes her hair and makeup. Curling large waves into her long hair and applying a full face of makeup is quite a departure from the ponytail and minimal makeup look she often sports these days. Kate finishes her freshening up with a spritz of Gingham body spray, her current favorite scent from Bath and Body Works. The light, floral notes are the perfect complement to this warm, end of summer/beginning of fall evening.

After she's changed into a pair of skinny jeans with a cute short sleeved black blouse and cardigan - accessorizing with medium sized hoop earrings and an aqua green matching accent necklace, ring and bracelet set - she puts on a pair of black buckle kitten heeled sandals and heads out of her room and onto the elevator, pushing the "One" button on the elevator's keypad.

The elevator dings a short moment later as the doors open and she's emptied out into the lobby, which is quite a bit busier than it was when she checked in a short time ago, and much nosier than upstairs on her floor and in her room.

Getting her bearings, she walks toward the bar and grill to the left of the elevator bank, stopping at the hostess stand.

"Hello!" The friendly young hostess greets Kate. "How many?"

"Just one." Kate replies, feeling slightly uncomfortable as she does.

"Ok! It'll just be a short wait. Would you like to take a seat in the waiting area?"

"Actually, is there any wait at the bar?" She inquires.

"Oh! No there's not. Would you like to sit there?"

"Yes please." Kate answers politely.

"Of course. Right this way!" The bubbly hostess says in reply, grabbing a menu and leading Kate to the bar. "Enjoy!"

The bar is also hopping - as Kate presumes most bars and restaurants downtown are tonight, thanks to the gorgeous evening - and it takes a minute or two before the bartender notices her.

"I apologize for the wait," he says when he gets a chance to greet her. "What can I get you?"

"I'll take a Malibu and Diet Coke." She almost has to shout her order over the growing crowd.

"Coming right up!"

Her eyes are focused on the bartender as he sets off to make her drink.

"Katie?"

The voice - vaguely familiar - startles her out of her thoughts as she turns to see who said her name. She almost falls off of her barstool as she comes face to face with someone hasn't seen in almost 20 years.

"Brandon?"