Chapter 7: Valentine's Day 2004

"Flower delivery for Katie Connolly!"

Kate turns away from her computer and looks towards her cubicle doorway.

Standing right outside her cubicle is... Brandon? It's hard to see through the huge bouquet of multicolored roses.

"Brandon?" She asks.

"That's me!" He answers. "Although today you can call me Cupid."

"What are you doing here?" She questions, a sudden chill in her tone.

"Bringing you flowers and asking - no, begging - you to be my valentine and to give me a chance to explain."

"Explain? You disappeared after what I thought was a nice New Year's breakfast date. We were just getting to know each other, we exchanged numbers and then I never heard from you again. Until... now. What, are you some kind of ghost who only appears on holidays?"

"Things got crazy with work and school. After the holidays ended and business slowed down at Houlihan's, they let a bunch of the part timers go. I was lucky enough to keep my job since I wasn't seasonal and had worked there prior to the holidays, but it's been busier than they'd anticipated. And my course load at school this semester is brutal as well."

He continues as he sees her arms crossed and her icy glare.

"It's no excuse for not reaching out at all in the last six weeks though, I know. I hope you'll accept my apology and a chance at a second date."

'He really is cute,' she thinks to herself.  And all they'd done New Year's Eve and New Year's Day morning was drink, talk, eat, and talk some more. This seems like an awful lot of effort for someone if they're not genuinely interested. It's not like they'd done anything for this to be a Valentine's Day 'booty call'. With that last thought she starts laughing out loud.

"What's so funny?" he asks, a tentative smile spreading across his face as her demeanor warms up.

"Oh nothing just an inside joke."

"With. . . who?" he asks, looking beyond her near empty cubicle to the rest of her office which is also empty.

"Uh, myself?" she answers, half questioningly.

"Oh. . .k." he answers, seemingly satisfied with her - if not true - interesting response. "So what do you say? Will you give me another chance at a first impression?"

She groans. "Ugh, you did not just quote an old Head and Shoulder's ad campaign, did you?"

"And THIS is why I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since New Year's. Who else would've gotten that reference? We are a pop culture match made in heaven. Raised by our TV's and Casey Kasem in the 80's and 90's, this is meant to be. But you never answered. Will you go out with me tonight?"

She starts to think and then immediately answers,"No."

Brandon seems taken aback by her response. It doesn't seem like it's because he's not used to rejection, just that he thought things were moving in a positive direction before he struck out.

"No?" he questions.

"Yes. I mean, no." she repeats.

"Ok. I deserve that. I did leave you hanging and then showed up out of the blue with a big romantic gesture on the most cliche of holidays. I get it. . ."

"No to tonight. Yes to a raincheck." she cuts him off. "Let me start over. Brandon, you seem awesome and I could definitely see myself going out on a date with you and getting to know you better. I would actually really like that. You're smart, funny, sweet, cute," as she says the last part she looks away and blushes shyly. But it is true. His dark hair, green eyes, genuine smile and strong jawline - and the fact that he's cute and confident, but not conceited - won her over the first night at her kitchen table for sure. "and I've never met anyone who could match me with basic pop culture knowledge. I just can't go out with you on Valentine's Day. It's the most overpriced day of the year. Besides, I have a rule about not accepting a date within hours of said date." She didn't. But maybe she was maturing and this was a new (old) rule she'd actually stick to.

"Cute?" He asks.

"Yeah . . . you caught that, huh?" the flush of her cheeks deepening.

"Oh yeah." he laughs. "Alright. You're right. This was silly to show up and basically demand a date with you with such short notice. I completely understand and it's very honorable. So Kate, what do you say about Saturday? Dinner, maybe find some trivia or a movie afterward? Get to know each other more at any place you'd like."

"Any place?" she asks, a mischievous sparkle in her eye.

"Any place!" he states firmly.

"Houlihan's it is!" she replies.

"I did say any place, didn't I?" Brandon laughs, his face in his hands.

"You sure did." she smiles. 'But seriously, surprise me. You're clearly creative," she says, gesturing towards the flower arrangement. "Pick me up at 6?"

"It's a date."