S01E03 A Creature In The Caves! Shade the Shadowmaster! (Part One)

It was damp and cold in here, only a small amount of warmth coming from the torches attached to the cave walls, and the little fire burning in the center of the caved room. It didn't bother Shade though, as the darkness kept him rejuvenated, prepared for the fight in front of him. It was master vs. student, a sparring match where Shade would finally see himself as the victor. He looked his elder in the eyes, as their bokkens clashed with one another. This continued for a few moments, Shade swinging his weapon from left to right, Elder Chatka meeting each of his strikes with one of his own.

"You must not hesitate boy," the elder said as he parried his bokken.

Shade was getting frustrated, as Elder Chatka's weapon kept hitting him from either side. He held up his shadow bokken, trying to block each of the blows but to no avail, he couldn't keep up with the elder's speed. Shade's bokken was supposed to be mightier than Chatka's, for it was taken from its shadow, and was linked to his special powers. He was able to manipulate shadows, he could hide in them, bend them to his will, and even take from them. For example, if an inanimate object had casted a shadow, he could pick it up and form it into its own solid object. That's how Shade came to acquire his shadow bokken.

Their robes moved with them as they tried to counter each other's strikes. Shade saw an opening, stepped forward, and sent his bokken towards Chatka's midsection but the elder swung his own bokken at Shade's hands and made the teen drop his weapon. As Shade leaned down to try and pick it back up, Chatka knocked his bokken hard against Shade's tightly tied up bun, causing it to loosen, his long black hair falling from its perch. It fell in front of Shade's eyes, and he fumbled around trying to find his bokken but it was no use, Chatka kicked it away and left Shade vulnerable.

The scruffy-bearded elder laughed. "I think it's time we give you a haircut, boy."

***

Shade sat carefully on his knees as Elder Chatka held up his long hair with two fingers. He warned Shade not to move, just before slicing it with a sword. What was left fell in place, his hair no longer than shoulder-length. He got up and looked in the mirror on the cave wall, he liked it, and gave it a nod of approval. At least now Elder Chatka couldn't use the same underhanded tactics he'd used in the past with Shade's long hair. Shade turned his attention to Chatka's sword, a fine weapon, sharp, perfect for hand to hand combat. He noticed its shadow behind it from the lighting of the fire, if only Elder Chatka would let him take it.

"Elder Chatka," he said. "When will you let me take the shadow from your sword?"

Chatka laughed, holding it up. "You're not ready for such a weapon, Shade. This isn't a butter knife."

"But Elder, I am ready, I swear!"

"I'll be the one to decide that, boy."

Elder Chatka smiled sincerely but Shade didn't like being treated like a child. He huffed in response, and Chatka sheathed the sword. He hung it up on the wall just as an older woman around Chatka's age rushed inside, Francis, Chatka's second-in-command. She seemed concerned about something, her forehead perspiring.

"Elder," she called. "Lady Marianne is here. And she's here with a young man who is seriously injured. They're accompanied by two men in leather jackets."

Chatka sighed. "Oh dear Marianne, what have you gotten yourself into this time? Shade, come with me."

***

They entered the central chamber of the cave system where tourists, merchants, and residents flocked. This is where merchants would try to sell tourists climbing equipment for their cave expeditions. Off to the corner of the chamber was a horse and a carriage, this caught Shade off guard as he hadn't seen many large animals before. Except one. People surrounded the carriage, and Elder Chatka rushed over to see what was going on. There lay a young tan-skinned man on the ground around Shade's age, his face familiar. Kneeling down in front of him was an old woman, and sitting in the carriage were two men in leather jackets.