Chapter Nine

The walk back to the house is in silence. I walk next to Miles, a meter apart, whilst Bonnie and Ivy walk a few feet in front. We walk from the path to the lawn and towards the front door. The incident still rattles me. I knew subconsciously that there were alligators around the island, but I just didn't think about it when Miles stood with his back towards the water. It was pure luck I noticed something was there. If I hadn't, the walk back would be a lot worse than quiet. Miles was talking about his fear of alligators the whole way here and the fact he came face to face with one did not help that fear, I'm sure. 

We notice someone sitting on the front stoop with a cigarette in their hand, and puffy red eyes. Ruby Carter-Quinn. Bonnies mother. John's wife. This is the first time any of us look at each other since we left. Bonnie and Ivy turn around and look at both of us inquisitively, as if Miles and I have the answer as to why she is crying. And when she started smoking. 

She notices us as we approach and she quickly tosses the cigarette and wipes her eyes, plastering on a forced smile. She acts like everything is normal and as if we didn't all just see exactly what happened. She's clearly trying to hide it, so I don't see the point in bringing it up. Bonnie, on the other hand, did not have the same thought.

"Hey guys", Ruby begins.

"Are you smoking?", Bonnie interrogates. "Since when did you do that?"

Ruby looks to the ground, a little embarrassed. "I like one from time to time. I'm not addicted".

Bonnie scoffs as if to say 'That's what everyone addicted to smoking says'. Ruby quickly brushes past the topic, but I'm still curious as to why she's been crying. 

"What have you been up to?", Ruby asks. "Exploring?"

"We were", Ivy tells her. "Before Miles almost got eaten by an alligator".

She says it without an ounce of playfulness. It catches Ruby off guard, who appears both horrified and confused. Then, Ivy starts laughing. Slowly at first but it gets more intense as she keeps going. Then, something I hadn't expected, Miles joins her. Soon, all four of us are laughing hysterically while Ruby stands there, bewildered. 

"Are you okay, Miles?", Ruby asks, genuinely worried. Miles just continues laughing.

"Oh my god", he says, beginning to wheeze. "I nearly fucking died!"

This sends us into even deeper laughter. It's clear Ruby does not find this as funny as we do, so she just turns around and walks inside, giving up. Maybe she's glad she got out of the conversation before we could interrogate her further. We laugh through the pain for a few more minutes until we calm down. Then, I hug Miles, trying to comfort him, knowing he is still genuinely shaken. Then, Ivy and Bonnie join in.

"That would have been so embarrassing", Miles says. "If I got eaten by an Alligator on the first day".

We all chuckle and we break up from the hug. From inside, I can hear the sounds of chatter and plates and cutlery being placed on the table. I hadn't realized due to the stress of almost losing Miles, that I was starving. We all take a few seconds to gather ourselves before heading inside. We make our way to the kitchen, which is made from deep mahogany wood and has two large kitchen islands. It is an open floor plan kitchen, with the dining room and living room all connected. In the living room, sits a smaller Christmas tree. By smaller, I mean smaller than the skyscraper in the foyer. It is still absolutely huge in its own right.