Chapter 4 - Sammy-Two-Taps

4

It was now the middle of the night as I lay on the exam table, watching as Sam silently looked at the ultrasound screen, quickly typing away on the controls, and noticed his hands were twitching ever so slightly.

I looked at the back of his head, furrowing my brows, "Sam, you're gonna need to talk me through this, okay? You're kinda starting to freak me out?"

Sam glanced back, letting out a breath and shaking his head, "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to-"

"I know you're not, Sam, but obviously something's got you freaked out even more than usual? What's going on, is he okay?"

Sam took in a breath, setting down the wand and turning back towards me as he reached for my hand, his hand still shaking slightly as he squeezed, "I know it might be kind of hard to do right now, but you need to relax. He's fine, okay?"

I gave him a look, shaking my head, "Yeah, but you're not? You're all sweaty, and... Twitchy?"

Sam closed his eyes as he tried to regulate his breathing, dropping his head, "I know... I'm sorry-"

"Sam."

I sat up slowly, squeezing his hand and looking back at him, "What's wrong, Sam?"

Sam looked back up at me, taking in a deep breath and shaking his head, "Don't freak out, okay? Nothing's wrong with him, I promise. I want to do a few more tests to be sure, but... I'm not so sure about his due date anymore?"

I furrowed my brows and narrowed my eyes slightly, "What do you mean you're not sure? I'm still twenty-seven weeks along, right?"

Sam hesitated, struggling to come up with the words as he shrugged nervously when I gave him a look, "Right? We've still got three months before he comes?"

Sam made a face, shaking his head with a look of panic in his eyes, "I don't know?"

"What do you mean you don't know?!-"

"Cat, please. If you start getting stressed out, than so will he-"

"You're stressing me out, Sam? This doesn't need to be any more complicated than it already is-"

"I know, I know. But it's okay, I just need some time to try to figure this out, okay?"

I stopped, letting out a breath and sinking back on the table as I shook my head, "Are you saying you think he's getting bigger faster?"

Sam shrugged and shook his head, "I don't know yet? Honestly, I don't really feel like I know anything right now-"

"Well, that doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in me? You're my doctor, Sam. And his father?"

Sam stopped, turning and looking back at the screen when I let out a sigh, shaking my head, "I'm sorry, Sam. I know you're trying your best, but I just need you to start talking to me. If you don't want me to freak out, then you need to tell me everything you know? If that means you've gotta run every test again twice, then do it, but unless you want me reading your mind again, you're gonna have to talk to me?"