chapter 39: past

A few weeks later....

I sigh as I get out of my classroom and finally turn on my phone. The test was rather good. Unexpectedly good.
I did not have the time to study much, with me being under the weather, but still planning a surprise for my parents, who are soon celebrating 23 years of their marriage.
I find a few texts and a missed call from Massimo. The texts read that he's parked outside my campus.
I rush to the gate, exited to meet him because I haven't seen him in almost 15 days, since we returned from New York after finally closing the drama with my family.
My parents were super embarrassed when they found out that I knew about everything. I knew for months and still "tolerated them", in my dad's words. It took a lot to convince them that they were not guilty and I still love them and always will. Martin, Savannah and Massimo insisted on helping them cut ties with anyone in the underworld. It's going to be long, tedious and dangerous, but I could visibly see the relief and thankfulness on my parents faces.
I see Massimo standing beside his bright red Rolls Royce Phantom and smiles as he sees me. I hug him right accross his shoulders and press kisses on his cheeks and neck.

"Oh my god, I missed your stupid face" I groan as I burry my face in his neck.

"Me too, my love" he says, pressing himself closer to me.
I inhale his scent for a few minutes before pressing a long kiss on his lips.
I've missed this.

Thank god for the area being private so we don't seem like a horny couple trying to find a place to do eachother.
Massimo picks me up, bridal style as he spins me around in the air and i giggle.

"Put me down! It's already a butter churn in my stomach!" I laugh.
When he puts me down, we hold hands and head to his car.
"Ready? Grand-mère, grandpa and your parents are waiting"

"They're here already?" I asked, shocked.

"Of course. When they heard you're getting an award, my grandfather got another opportunity to eat cake. Your parents' aniversery was already one. He didn't even bother convincing my grandmother, Anastacia and Jason. Or your parents. and just threw a party. initially, grnadpa wanted to throw a surprise party, but this is my grandfather we're talking about. He can't keep any information inside when he's excited"
I laugh as Massimo steps on the gas and one short ride later, we arrive at Nobu.
Inside, there's a secluded place where my parents are talking to Massimo's grandparents.

"Oh there's the star of the evening and my life!" My mom exclaims as she rises from her seet to hug me, followed by everyone on the table, who also take turns congratulating me.

"If I'm the star of the evening, then what does that make yoyu and dad for completing 23 years together?" i ask my mom playfully as i take a seat opposite to her and massimo as always, right next to me. 

while everyone is chatting away at lunch while indulging themselves in the amazing food, i take a few seconds to look around me, at the people who have quickly grown so much close to me. im touched by how much savannah and martin adore me even though i didnt really do anything. my parents who saccrificed their entire life, slaving away my grandparents and their horrid crimes and also being the puppet of Andre, are finally free. 

just about a liottle over a year ago, if someone would have told me that this was going to be my life in New York, the chances of me laughing in their faces are a 100%. I feel blessed as im surrounded by the friends who have become family and the man i love. 

i suddenly feel a warm hand over mine under the table and i turn to my left to see massimo looking at me, with his warm eyes full of love as he asks me what i was thinking. i just shake my head as i go back to digging into my pasta, with a smile on my face.