Chapter 28

A week later I laid on the couch, waiting on Tall Boy and FP. They should have been up here already, I'd texted them when I was on my way back. At last the door opened and the two men came in.

"You said you have news?" FP asked.

I nodded, not sitting up. "The Ghoulies heard Hiram Lodge is up to something. Something to do with Southside."

"That could be anything," FP said, leaning against the front of his desk. "You didn't get any other details?"

"Nope," I replied, closing my eyes. "I tried but that's all I found out. Don't think they know either."

"I heard he's been looking into buying property around town," Tall Boy said.

"Go see what else you can dig up," FP ordered. "Find out what properties he's after."

"Will do, boss."

"Have fun with that," I said, cracking my eyes open and giving him a small wave.

FP sighed, and I could feel his eyes on me. "Are you high right now?"

"Maybe a little," I giggled, holding my hand up, thumb and forefing close together. "Right now I'm more tired than anything. It was true, I'd forgotten how much quicker the effects of jingle jangle wore off the more frequently it was used.

"Damn it, Abigail, I thought you said you were done after that night."

"It's not a regular thing, but after that night I have to convince the Ghoulies I'm on their side," I said. "Besides, it's just like you drinking."

"Those two are nothing alike and you know it," FP said.

I looked at him, unable to decipher the look on his face. "Then explain it to me. We all saw you take that shot at what was supposed to be your retirement party."

"That was a one-time thing, not ongoing when I feel like it."

"Whatever you say," I said, closing my eyes again. "Let me just sleep this off and I'll be fine."

FP sighed again, the desk creaking under him as he shifted. "I need you to come up here, do something for me," I heard him say, obviously not talking to me, I was already up here. "Yeah, my office."

A few minutes later the door opened and someone came in. I really didn't care who it was so long as I could sleep.

"Sweet Pea, I need you to take Babygirl home, she's not feeling good," FP said.

I groaned, forcing myself to sit up. "You could have just said something if you didn't want me staying here," I said, glaring at FP. "I can get myself home."

"No, I'll take you," Sweet Pea said.

"Take my truck, it's parked out back," FP said, tossing the keys to Sweet Pea.

"I'm fine," I protested, standing. I stumbled as my head spun. Sweet Pea wrapped an arm around my waist, holding me up.

"Take care of her," FP said.

"I always do," Sweet Pea replied. I gave in, letting him lead me out the back way and into FP's truck. We rode in silence, and within minutes we were climbing the stairs to my place.

"You don't have to stay," I mumbled, dropping onto the bed.

I felt Sweet Pea sit next to me, unlacing my boots. "I want to though," he replied. "I want to make sure you're okay."

"I just need to sleep. I'll be back to normal in the morning." I rolled over on the bed, turning away from the light. A moment later I felt Sweet Pea lay down beside me and I curled into his side. "I love you Sweet Pea," I whispered.