Chapter 38

"Toni, I need your help," I said, Sweet Pea and I taking seats at the table.

"What did you do this time?" Fangs asked.

"Why do you say that like I did something wrong?" I asked, pretending to be shocked.

Toni raised an eyebrow. "Uh, because everyone knows you never ask for help."

She had a point there. "Okay, but now I really need your help."

"It's true, she really does need your help," Sweet Pea said.

"Hey, you're not supposed to agree on this," I whined, Toni and Fangs laughing.

"Okay, so what am I supposed to be helping with?" Toni asked.

"I'm taking Abigail out this weekend for a real date this weekend, not just hanging out here or going to Pop's," Sweet Pea explained.

"And you need my help finding something to wear?" Toni guessed. "How nice?"

"I don't know," I said. "Someone won't tell me where we're going. But you've seen everything I own," I said, gesturing to my worn jeans, "and apparently it's not going to cut it."

"At least tell me what the plan is so I know what to look for," Toni said. Sweet Pea nodded and the two walked away from the table, whispering.

I looked at Fangs who was shaking his head at me. "What?"

"I've known Sweet Pea almost my whole life, and never once has he wanted to go somewhere with a dress code," he said.

I looked over to where Toni and Sweet Pea were still talking. She was smiling as she listened to whatever he was telling her. "So you have no idea what he's planning?" I asked, turning back to Fangs.

Fangs shook his head. "Not a clue. But Toni seems impressed, so it must be good."

"Oh, it definitely is," she said, coming back over. "Come on, let's go shopping!" she practically squealed.

I groaned. "I should mention, I hate shopping."

"But Toni loves it, and you love Sweet Pea, so go have fun," Fangs said, laughing.

"That's true," I said, standing on my toes to kiss Sweet Pea. "I'll see you tonight."

"Come on, we haven't spent any time together, just the two of us, in forever," Toni said. "It'll be fun."

"Okay, let's get this over with," I said, following her out of the bar.

"Don't cause too much trouble," Fangs called after us.

"No promises," I replied.

The next few hours passed in a blur, Toni dragging me in and out of stores. I lost count of the number of dressing rooms I was pushed into and the number of outfits I tried on, much less the ones she decided we needed to buy. And of course there were shoes to try on and purchase too.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Toni asked as we ate at Pop's.

"I still can't believe you convinced me to get a dress," I mumbled, taking a bite of my burger.

"Come on, you're going to look amazing. Besides, Sweet Pea will never expect it."

"Exactly. I don't think I've ever worn a dress in my entire life. It's not me. What if he doesn't like it?"

Toni reached across the table, grabbing my hand. "Abigail, trust me. Sweet Pea is crazy about you. He told me he wants to make this night special, and that's a lot coming from him. Before you, he never cared about anything but his motorcycle, pool, and knocking Northsiders heads any chance he got. Now though? You're everything to him. He smiles the minute you walk in the room, he hangs on your every word. He's even learning to cook just to impress you. And when's the last time he picked a fight with anyone? Look, if he breaks your heart over anything, especially something as petty as you wearing a dress for your date, he's gonna have every Serpent coming for his ass."