Chapter 7 ; Mylione (Million)

Mylo still remembered when he first met Emey. He was only seven and she was just reaching towards six. He remembered her unforgiving glares and her sunlit smiles. Her remembered the way she would spin around and around in pride and in joy, showing everyone that pretty pink dress her mother bought her.

To Mylo, Emey was the closest thing to a sister. So when he found out that she had been shot, he cried. And when he found out that she had amnesia, he decided that he could never come near her again.

Mylo, by blood, was Ben’s cousin; he was the son of his father’s brother. But Ben’s father and his own were in an unforgettable feud. Mylo’s father married his best friend, the girl he loved for years but always hid it due to her reputation. Mylo’s uncle, on the other hand was simply infatuated with her because of her beauty – but he didn’t understand the difference between that infatuation and the definition of ‘love’. All he knew was that his own little brother had pursued the woman that he had his eyes on, that his little brother had crossed his territory.

And then, three years later, the couple died at the age of twenty-five. The cause of the death was unknown. And Mylo was only three beck then.

He didn’t know much about his parents, but at the same time, he knew too much. He knew that they died on December 5th, the day that both Emey and Ben were born. He knew that both children were named after his parents. He knew that both children looked exactly like his parents did at that age.

He knew this, and so did Ben’s father, George.

And he knew that that was the reason George shot her.

So he ran away. He forced his grandmother to stay away from her and her family, forced her away from the girl who was meant to be dead. He felt that with all of this information that lived in his skull would kill him from the inside. But two years later, a new family moved into the neighbourhood.

And that family was her very own.

__________________________________________________________

At 3 p.m., Emey went on to do the usual after-school line up; searched for her sister, then physically dragged her out of her friend circle. The two would then proceed to take a nice, twenty minute walk back home.

Although they were sisters, Emey and Lea looked about as alike as a grizzly bear and a maple tree. Apart from the fact that they were both incredibly tall – with Emey towering at five foot eight  and Lea at exactly five feet – they had nothing in common.

Leah was four years younger than her sister, with mousy brown hair which tumbled down her back in perfect, doll-like waves.  Her skin was fair, untouched, unblemished like that of a newborn. She was called ‘chameleon-eyes’ due to the fact that her eye colour would change according to her mood and the amount of sunlight on that day. Whenever she was elated, they would shine a bright, warm green, but during the worse days they would turn into a shadowy hue of blue or grey. On the other days, when there was nothing to cry for, like on this particular day, her eyes were a palette of all three.

Walking home alone was new to them. They didn’t even know why they started. Emey guessed it was just for the hell of it, and anyway, she always felt much better after her walks. Lea didn’t mind either; they always passed by her favourite ice-cream parlour on the way.

This way, Emey also got to know the neighbouring schoolmates. Not that she’d ever talk to them though. Making friends wasn’t a hobby of hers.

Walking home was a routine, a rewinding clock that continued to pass forward and then turn back for another day. Every day, she saw the same people with the same dogs, headphones, sandwiches and de-caf coffee drinks. But on this day, something different managed to catch her eye.