Chapter 11; Show Time

Three a.m. and she was still up, staring at her moonlit reflection in the mirror. Her journal on the floor, her hair a mess, and eyes ablaze, she felt powerful. Her reflection was glowing, her body surrounded by a halo of moonlight. And sitting in this room, all alone, she began to feel quite foolish and lonely.

It was time.

She knew it, felt it. She needed to get out of the house. There was something, somewhere, that she needed to destroy.  She ran out onto the balcony, jumping down from the second floor and landing flat on her feet. She then turned and ran towards the city, her feet bare.

Two teens walked through the alleyways of San Diego, looking for the target of the day. The male, an albino, was patiently waiting with his eyes  wide open, gun in hand. The girl, her long, thin black hair swaying from one side to another as she slowly walked behind him, tired and exasperated, her eyes barely open.

Tasha,’ she moaned. ‘He said that there is a possibility that they’ll attack tonight! It’s already three in the morning, and nothing has come up!’

‘Shush!’ Tasha hissed, anger levels rising. ‘I swear Chris, can’t you just be serious for like five minutes?’

‘I am serious. Seriously falling ASLEEP. Seriously TIRED. Serious enough for you?’

‘Christopher Levin, shut up.’

Chris stuck her tongue out and they continued to walk. After about five minutes of silence, she stopped and pouted. Tasha turned around.

‘Now what?’

‘I’m going home, and you can’t stop me!’ she screamed, turning around and running away.

‘What the – Chris, look out!’

Surely there it was, right in front of her. A towering metallic menace, eyes red and lit up, ready to destroy everything in its path. Chris grinned.

Great,’ she laughed. She lifted her hands up and they began to glow with an electric charge. Once she loaded enough power, she began to shoot beams of electricity at the robot. Upon realizing that none of them affected it, she growled and jumped at its head, pressing the palms of her hands flat against the metal, and transmitting as much energy as she could at a time. But the robot simply shook its head and she fell.

Tasha managed to run fast enough to catch her before she hit the ground. He knew that if Chris couldn’t hurt it, neither could he. A gun wouldn’t do anything to a monster like that. And in comparison to her, he was weak.

This was unlike all of the previous ones.

They wouldn’t be able to win alone.

The robot’s fists swung up before aiming at the ground, and the two braced themselves.

Was it the end?

Tired and thirsty, Emey regretted running away. The soles of her feet were sore and her legs were cold. She didn’t even know what she hoped to see. The shadows of the alleyway made it impossible to decipher where anything was. She walked on, not bothered enough to climb towards light.

As she turned a corner, and immediately noticed a bright, flashing blue light . Running towards its source, she found the source of her discomfort.

She suspected that what stood in front of her was a robot.

A murder-bot. It didn’t notice her as it had its back to her, concentrating on the source of blue light.

She got excited.

‘Finally, something interesting!’ she whispered.

The blue light eventually faltered, and she noticed that a slim female figure was the source. She fell into the arms of a white-haired boy. They looked scared.

The robot’s fists swung up before aiming at the ground, and Emey decided she needed to act fast.

‘HEY, I’M RIGHT HERE YOU DUM DUM!’ she screamed at the top of her lungs. She laughed at her own joke and placed her hands on her hips. The robot turned swiftly and located her presence. The two teens were trying to tell her to stop, but she just ignored them.

‘It’s show time!’