sudden death part 3

Yasmin stared at the espresso machine, listening absently to the whirls of the machine when her cellphone buzzed:

Nobody does it like Juliet...

Unfortunately, at that moment she had been moving the espresso machine, which made it start hissing steam and burned her hand slightly, causing her to yelp and yank it back as she fumbled to grab her phone.

"Hey Juliet—bloody hell," she cursed as her hand stung a little.

"What on earth did you do?"

"Lost a fight with the espresso machine, it's fine, a little steam won't kill me," she joked, even as she stared at her slightly red hand. "What's up?"

"I was just wondering if there was any information about Hani Iona?"

Yasmin frowned. "The prosecutor is still going through with the charges—didn't Magnum tell you? He's the one who brought us the evidence."

"No, I haven't really been helping him on this case," Juliet replied in surprise. "He's had me looking after Mak."

"Wait, you're babysitting?"

"Yes I am, and why do you sound so surprised?" Juliet asked, a little defensive.

"I wasn't surprised—ok, maybe I'm a little surprised," Yasmin protested briefly before conceding. "You have to admit, you aren't exactly the type of person most people would think is good with children."

She knew Juliet masked her emotions much like Katsumoto did, and there was no doubt in her mind Katsumoto was good with his son, but Juliet's no-nonsense attitude didn't strike Yasmin as something that would land well with most children.

"I'll have you know, I in fact was a nanny for a summer when I was 15." Juliet stated rather haughtily. "The children loved the discipline I gave them."

"I'm sure they did," Yasmin agreed, staring absently at the brown liquid in the mug before she spoke. "Anyways, it looks like Hani Iona is going to prison."

"Poor Mak..."

Yasmin hummed in agreement before noise on the other end made her pause. "Terribly sorry to cut this short Yasmin, but I'm getting an alert for the front gates, talk to you later."

"Alright, see you later."

The call ended and Yasmin reached out to grab Katsumoto's coffee when it was surprisingly taken by someone else. "Noelani! Make your own, that's for Katsumoto."

"Still trying to charm him with your coffee-making skills?" Noelani remarked dryly as she took a sip, letting out a satisfied hum. "Oh, that's good coffee."

"Yes, good coffee for Major Crimes," Yasmin stated pointedly as she began preparing another cup of coffee.

"And last time I checked, I do a lot of work for Major Crimes so I think I'm entitled to it as well," Noelani arched an eyebrow in challenge, which made Yasmin raise her hands in surrender. "Especially considering I just..."

She trailed off, becoming suspiciously tight lipped which made Yasmin turn to stare at her. "Considering you just what?"

Noelani just took another sip of her coffee which made Yasmin cross her arms over her chest and arch an eyebrow. "If you're trying to imitate Katsumoto, sorry, you're just not as intimidating as him Yas."

Yasmin scowled, but conceded the point, mouth turning up in a mischievous smirk that had Noelani eyeing her cautiously. "Fine, then maybe I'll just ask you about what's going on with you and a certain Commander McGarrett..."