do no harm part 2

As it turned out, Nora Miller lived in Waialae Iki with her sister Laura and as Yasmin and Katsumoto drove up the hill and the green roofed house came into view, a familiar sense of dread washed over Yasmin.

Katsumoto glanced over at her briefly, before fixing his eyes back to the road. "What is it?"

"Just...this part, telling the family," Yasmin swallowed. "Does it ever get easier?"

She glanced at Katsumoto who stared straight ahead, flexing his hands against the wheel before replying honestly, "No."

A woman with dark hair pulled up was standing in the driveway, throwing out a bag of trash and glanced up. She froze as Katsumoto turned the car into the driveway, confusion and apprehension flashing across her face as she stared at the car.

"Hello, can I help you?"

She questioned as Katsumoto and Yasmin got out of the car, glancing between them nervously.

"Laura Miller, I'm Detective Katsumoto with HPD," Katsumoto flashed his badge and Laura's expression turned from confusion to dread. "This is Yasmin Knight, can we talk inside?"

"I don't—I don't understand," Laura swallowed heavily, tears staining her cheek as Yasmin came in from the kitchen, handing her a mug. "I just saw her last night, she was fine and happy..."

"I'm so sorry for your loss," Yasmin whispered, taking the seat beside her.

Katsumoto was leaning forward, hands clasped in front of him before he cleared his throat. "What happened last night?"

Laura blinked. "Uh, it was around ten o'clock, I was finishing up some paperwork in the dining room when Nora came into the room, she was smiling and just said she had to go somewhere but she would be back soon,"

Yasmin met Katsumoto's gaze as Laura let out another sob. "She said she loved me, but I was too distracted, so I didn't say anything back and when I finally looked up she was already gone...!"

"Hey, shh," Yasmin spoke soothingly, reaching out to squeeze her shoulder. "I'm sure she knew you loved her Laura, don't go down that rabbit hole."

"Did Nora say why she was going out?" Katsumoto questioned, pen and pad out. "Did she get a call from work?"

"No, uh, nothing like that," Laura shook her head. "Nora hasn't gone into work for four weeks now."

Katsumoto and Yasmin shared another look before Yasmin spoke, "Your sister, she was a doctor correct?"

"Yes, a pediatric surgeon," Laura nodded, managing a smile before looking over to the mantle where an array of photos had been set up. "She loved working with kids, and she was good at it, one of the best."

Yasmin got up and walked over to the mantle, smiling softly as she took in the photos: there were pictures of Laura and Nora at dinner, down by the beach or with other friends but there were also photos of Nora at work, with kids of varying ages who must have been her patients and their parents.

"It seems like her patients adored her," Yasmin commented, picking up one of the photos of Nora with a little girl around six.

Laura glanced over and smiled. "They did, and the parents did as well which Nora told me was rather rare."

"Laura, why hasn't Nora gone into work lately?"

Laura paused, wringing her hands together before sighing. "My sister was good with the kids and at her job, but her one flaw was she had a tendency to get close to her patients, which most doctors and nurses will tell you isn't a good idea."