Chapter 20

TW: none

Alec was released ten days later. Tess—Daisy's mother and Alec's ex—reluctantly agreed to stay with him in Broadchurch for a few days. Neither were happy with the arrangement, but it was a matter of safety—and a matter of Daisy pleading with them both.

"These are your discharge instructions." A thick sheaf of paper plopped onto the bed. "Remember, recovery is going to take time. Don't push yourself, or you'll end up right back here. You—are you listening, Mr. Hardy?"

"Not really," Alec said blithely, busy removing heart monitor stickers. "You're telling me to take it easy and call if I have any symptoms, right?"

"Alec, listen to the doctor," Tess said impatiently. "Please."

"Fine."

The cardiologist, unaccustomed to being talked down to, made a face as though she'd tasted something bitter. "Pain, weakness, shortness of breath, and dizziness are all to be expected as you heal. It is very important that you take your medicine as instructed, including pain medicine. Be sure to eat enough, and drink lots of fluids. Above all else, rest and take it easy. No caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, or marijuana. No exertion, no stress."

Alec pulled a sticker off his ribs and winced. "Anything else, Doc?"

"No," the doctor answered through her teeth, "I think that's it."

"Good. Now get out so I can get dressed."

The doctor left in a huff. Tess helped Alec with a shirt, since his left arm wasn't working quite right. He'd made sure to have his trousers on before she arrived; just because they were married at one point didn't mean she got to see him naked now. He felt vulnerable enough as it was.

"How's Daisy?" he inquired.

"Worried," Tess replied. "She wanted to visit this weekend, but she's grounded for taking off with that boy."

"You won't let her visit me...because she visited me? That's some cocked-up logic there, Tess."

She ignored the jibe. "Beautiful necklace you got her. Did you actually pick it out?"

"Of course I did," Alec said indignantly, putting on his shoes. Daisy, God bless her, had packed him slips-on that he could just shove his feet into. "Why wouldn't I?"

"It looks like something Miller would buy."

"Just had to get a jab in, didn't you?" He paused to rest, panting slightly. "I work with the woman, that's all."

"I didn't mean it that way."

"Yes, you did." Alec put his coat on and stood up. "You always do."

"Whatever." She pointed to the waiting wheelchair. "Get in."

Alec did, because there was no other option. "This is going to be a long three days, isn't it?"

"I'm counting on you sleeping most of the time." Tess wheeled him out of the room. "I'll throw you some tea and toast now and then."

"Thanks." He brace himself mentally. "I do appreciate this."

"Don't bother, you'll give yourself another heart attack. I'm only doing it because of Daisy, anyway."

The woman couldn't even be nice long enough to accept gratitude. Alec remembered some of the many reasons they had divorced. Perhaps he could fend for himself, if it meant being free of Medusa.

That idea was squashed when the nurse had to help him into the car. The seatbelt's shoulder strap cut right across the incision in his sternum, so he moved it behind him. Tess was already at the wheel, waiting impatiently. She started nagging before the first stop light. Alec leaned his head against the window and pretended to be asleep to avoid her. He managed to doze off for a while, until she tapped him on the knee. "Wakey, wakey, we're at your hovel."

Alec's house was not a hovel ,but Tess never missed an opportunity for a snide comment. He ignored her and got out of the car by himself, which was a bad idea judging by how much it hurt. Climbing the front steps almost killed him.

Tess unlocked and opened the door while he leaned on the railing. Ignoring her proffered arm, Alec staggered inside under his own power and collapsed into the nearest chair.

"Home sweet home," Tess said cheerfully. She set down his suitcase. "Are you hungry?"

Alec shook his head. She grinned and headed for the kitchen, no doubt to raid his fridge. It was going to be a long three days.

~~~

SHITFACE flashed across Ellie's phone. About time. She'd asked Tess to call when they made it safely to Broadchurch. "Hey, Tess, how's he doing?"

The voice on the other end was weak, raspy, and barely recognizable as Alec Hardy. "It's me. Can you come over? Won't take long."

"Can't Tess help you?" Ellie asked.

"She's...not here. It'll just take a minute. I'll owe you one."

"Add it to the list. Be right there." Ellie hung up and called to Tom, "I'm going out, back in two ticks. Your brother's not due from his friend's house for another hour."

"'Kay, bye," Tom called back.

Ellie took her time driving to Alec's house. If it was urgent, Tess would've taken care of it, since she was the one staying with him. He was probably just sick of talking to his ex. Ellie didn't blame him; the woman was vile.

But there was no car out front, and the front door was unlocked. Alec never left his door unlocked. Ellie stepped inside, cautiously. "Sir? Where are you?"

"Here," Alec's tired voice replied.

She found him sitting on the couch, looking absolutely wretched. "Hey, Miller," he said with a pitiful attempt at a smile. "Thanks for comin'."

Something horrible occurred to her. "Where's Tess?"

"She left."

"She what?"

Alec shrugged helplessly. "Got a call from work, told me to be careful, and went home. Not like I could stop her."

Ellie couldn't believe what she was hearing. "She left you on your own, the same day you get out of hospital? How can she--"

"I'm stuck," Alec interrupted.

"What?"

"The couch is low, my legs are long, I'm stuck. Can you help me up?" he requested.

"If you hadn't just had surgery, I would piss myself laughing," Ellie told him. "But I'm nicer than your ex."

They locked hands, and Alec stood slowly, towering over Ellie as he always did. "Thanks. Last time I sit on that stupid sofa."

"I told you when you bought it it was too low," Ellie felt obligated to remind him.

"Yeah, well, I wasn't planning on being an invalid when I bought it." He tried to pull away. "That was all I needed. You can go."

"Where were you headed?" Ellie asked.

"Um...bedroom."

"Well, then, I'll take you there."

They made their way to Alec's room. He sank onto his bed, panting. Ellie looked at him—pale, sick, and so, so alone—and felt more rage than she had felt in a long time. He had trusted Tess, and she'd left him to fend for himself when he so clearly couldn't. That offended Ellie on a very basic, decent-human-being level. She made a snap decision. "I'll be right back. I promise."

"You don't have to," Alec insisted. "I'll be okay."

But Ellie was already gone.  

1. I did a lot of research on heart conditions and heart surgery, but of course, I'm not a professional. Don't take anything to...well, to heart.