Chapter 21

TW: Illness

Ellie buzzed home, and burst Tom's room, startling him.

"Mom!" he yelped. "What's wrong?"

"I have a question," Ellie said, "and I need an answer now, I'm sorry."

"Okaaaay."

She sat on his bed. "Alec—Detective Hardy—you know he's been sick."

"Yeah," Tom said, wondering just where she was going with this.

"Well, the person who was supposed to stay with him left. He really can't be by himself." Ellie put her hand on her son's arm. "I'm asking you if it's okay if I bring Alec here. If he stays with us for a few days. You won't have to do anything, I'll take of him. Are you comfortable with that?"

"Why would you ask me that?"

Ellie's heart sank. "Because it's your house, too, and you've got every right to say no. I understand not wanting someone else here," she added, standing up. "Let me go check on him one more time, and then I'll make us supper."

"No, wait!" Tom chased after her. "I meant, why did you bother asking, just bring him!"

"Really?"

"Yeah. He's your friend, and he needs help. Of course I don't mind." Tom grabbed his coat. "I'll go with you."

Ellie gave him a quick, grateful hug. They dashed out to the car and back across town. Their haste was in vain: Alec was exactly where Ellie had left him. He seemed surprised to see her so soon, and doubly surprised when Tom appeared.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Alec asked.

Without preamble, Ellie informed him, "You're coming home with us."

Of course that triggered an argument, which would have turned into a shouting match if Alec had the energy. Tom shut them down by asking, "Where's your suitcase?"

Caught off-guard, Alec blurted, "By the front door."

"Cool," Tom said. "Mom'll get it, and I'll help you. Let's go."

He held out his hand. Alec looked at him for a long moment—and then he took it.

~~~

Ellie and Tom plopped Alec in the guest room, put an electric blanket on the bed, and left him alone—which was exactly what he needed. Ensconced in the Millers' first floor guest room, Alec slept for almost two days. Ellie popped in every couple hours to be sure he was still breathing. She would have thought him comatose if he didn't change position occasionally.

"Why d'you think he's sleeping so much?" Tom asked, the morning after their guest arrived.

"I'm not sure," Ellie admitted. "But...I kind of think it's because he knows he's safe. He doesn't have to worry about anything, or anybody."

"That's...sad," Tom said simply. "That he has to be with us to feel safe."

"I might be wrong. But Alec has a lot of reasons for being the way he is. He's not as much of a knob as he wants people to think." Ellie handed Tom a cup of tea. "Don't tell him I said that."

Fred trundled downstairs, dressed but very sleepy. He sat at the table and rubbed his eyes.

"I have to work late tonight," Ellie said to both boys. "You can order pizza for dinner. Whatever you want."

"What 'bout Uncle Alec?" Fred piped up. "Is he gonna come out?"

"Uncle Alec doesn't feel good. He'll come out when he's ready." She set a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter in front of the him. "I'm sorry you have to watch your brother again, Tom. I'll make it up to you."

"Pizza helps," Tom said amiably. He grown up a lot in the past few years, mellowing as he did so. "We'll be fine, Mum. Us, and the troll."

~~~

Afterschool, Tom and Fred followed their mother's instructions to leave their guest alone. When it came time to order dinner, however, they realised they had a problem.

"Does Uncle Alec want pizza?" Fred asked his brother seriously. He was the only one who could ever get away with saying 'Uncle Alec.' Then again, he was the only one who would want to.

"I don't know," Tom answered. "We'll make sure there's enough for him, too.

"But...what does he like?"

Tom—not yet knowing the rules of house guest situation--was torn. Which was worse, bothering the guest or buying something the guest couldn't eat? Luckily, he was saved from the decision when they heard Alec moving around. The faucet ran, and the medicine cabinet door squeaked open and shut. Tom bit the bullet and knocked. "Um, sir?"

"Come in," answered a hoarse voice.

Tom nudged the door open just wide enough to poke his head in. "Sorry to bother you."

"Don't be, it's your house," Alec said, pulling a sweatshirt over his ratty t-shirt. "What's up?"

"Oh, um..." Tom realised—somewhat belatedly—that he'd never really been alone with Alec when he was just Alec, not Detective Hardy. Now he wasn't sure how to act. "Um, Mum's working late so we're supposed to order pizza for dinner. What do you like on yours?"

"Erm...I'll eat whatever, just nothing really greasy." Alec got out his wallet, and handed his debit card to Tom. "Here. My treat. Get whatever you want."

"Uh, okay." Tom started to leave, stopped, and turned around. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"How  are you at maths? Algebra?"

Alec gave him a real, genuine smile. "I quite like maths."

"Do you think you could help me with my homework?" Tom asked meekly. "Mum's horrible at math. I understand if you're not up to it."

"I am absolutely up to it," Alec assured him. "I'll meet you at the kitchen table in a minute, okay?"

"Okay."

Tom called the pizza place and ordered a veggie, a sausage and a cheese pizza—something for everyone, he figured—and gave them Alec's debit number. They told him the food would be there in about forty minutes.

As Tom hung up with the restaurant, Alec shuffled into the kitchen. He looked pale and very tired, and for a second Tom felt bad about dragging him out of bed. It also made Tom wonder how Tess—who he hadn't even met—could possibly leave him alone without feeling guilty.

Then Fred appeared and Tom wasn't the problem child anymore.

"Uncle Alec!" Fred chirped. "You're up!"

Alec caught Fred by the shoulders before he could perform a tackle-hug. "You've gotten tall, lad!"

Fred giggled, and practically skipped over to his brother. "Will you come play blocks with me?"

"I've got homework to do," Tom replied sadly. "We'll play after supper, okay?"

Alec put his hand on Fred's shoulder. "Why don't you bring a few of your blocks in here and hang out with us?"

"Genius," Tom said reverently as Fred went to get his toys. "Fricking genius."

"My daughter was a lot like him." Alec sat down to catch his breath.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just get tired easy. Let's see that homework, shall we?"

1. We all know Alec is just a big teddy bear, don't we?