Epilogue

Epilogue, one year later:

"MILLAH!"

"Oh, Jesus," Ellie said under her breath. "Coming!"

Ale didn't look up from his computer, he just started barking orders."The kid, that the vehicle was registered to, um--"

"Garrett," Ellie supplied.

"Garrett. He said he was at home doing Spanish homework when the vandalism took place. Have someone check with his teacher to see if he actually had Spanish homework. It's a small town, one of your numpties can find out. Also, ask Dirty Brian from SOCO to check his trunk for traces of spray paint."

"Are you sure want to go so hard on this?" Ellie asked. "It's vandalism, not murder."

"True," Alec agreed, "but someone who writes racial slurs on a house can easily escalate to more violent crimes. I want to stop that before it starts."

"Okay,fair enough. Um, Jessie is working on getting the CCTV footage from the car park across from the victim's house."

"Good,have him--"

"--her."

"Have her send it over as soon as she gets it."

Ellie scribbled in her notebook. "Right, anything else?"

"Tea?"Alec requested, just to annoy her.

"Do you want me to dump that over your head or in your lap?"

"Your pick." He leaned back in his office chair. "Let me know by end of day tomorrow what you find in the kid's--"

"Garrett."

"--Garrett's car. Then we'll decide if we can bring him in. You can take the new bloke who transferred in, um...." Alec snapped his fingers as he tried to remember.

"John,"Ellie said.

"John. Take John with you. Makes sure he reads the subject their rights this time."

Ellie groaned. "I don't know how that little shit made it through the academy, he's a moron."

"Standards in these rural areas are low," Alec pointed out. "They let just about anybody through."

"Obviously your instructors didn't care about manners and personality otherwise you'd never have graduated."

"I'm brilliant in other areas."

"Speaking of brilliant, you cleared for field work yet?" Ellie inquired.

Ale shook his head. "Not yet. They're worried I'll...exert myself."

"You mean, take off after a suspect and give yourself a heart attack?"

"Something like that. I can interview suspects, though, as long as I don't..."He pulled a face. "Lose my temper."

Ellie feigned shock. "You, lose your temper?"

"Better than being incessantly cheerful like you."

"Being cheerful doesn't make your heart stop."

"Piss off, Miller."

"Happily," Ellie snapped. Then she turned back. "Are you coming to dinner tonight?"

"Think I'll stay home," Alec replied. "Been a long week."

"I'm making lasagna."

"That's cheating." He nodded to the notebook in Ellie's hand. "Get started on that list. I want us to nail the prick who painted A Swastika on that poor woman's house. That shit doesn't fly here."

Ellie grinned. "Not in our town, it doesn't."

Alecalmost smiled. "Not in our town."

                                                                              ~~~~

Afterword:

Well, everybody, let me know how you liked it! I may or may not have another lurking in the corner of my hard drive, but whether it gets posted or not depends on your reaction!

Special thanks to my mom who helped me come up with some of the names and scenarios for this story. It's actually my first time writing a murder mystery. I like to think I did okay.

PLAYLIST:

How to Save A Life by the Fray(Ellie taking care of Alec)

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls (Alec not opening up emotionally)

Hold On by Chord Overstreet (on the plane home)

California Gurls by Katy Perry(culture shock)

Too Much Food by Jason Mraz (eating in America)

Whole Lotta Woman by Kelly Clarkson(Ellie not putting up with sh*t)

Kiss with a Fist by Florence and the machine (Alec and Ellie bickering)

Who Run The World (Girls) by Beyonce(Ellie being a badass)

Scars to Your Beautiful by AlessiaCara (emotional scars on everyone)