Chapter 23

TW: language

Fred was napping and Ellie and Tom were watching telly when they heard Alec's mobile ring, followed by an explosion of sound. "GOD'S SAKE, Tess! Three bloody days, and you just now decide to see if I'm alive?"

Ellie calmly turned up the volume on the telly.

"No, turn it down," Tom hissed, "I wanna hear what he's saying!"

"Don't worry, you will. At least he sounds more like his old self."

Alec had a full head of steam, his accent getting thicker by the second. "I was depending on you! I don't know why I thought I could trust you to begin with!"

"He's talking to his ex-wife," Ellie explained to Tom. "She's vile."

"She sounds like it."

"Now? I'm at Ellie Miller's house. Don't you dare take a jab at her," Alec snarled. "She helped me when I couldn't stand up on my own. No, we're not dating, not that it's any of your—what? You let Daisy take off with that boy, again!? My fault? How the hell is it my--well, listen to this!"

Alec's smartphone flew out of the guest room, and hit the opposite wall. Alec himself stormed into view moments later, scowl firmly in place. He stooped down carefully to retrieve his phone before taking his coat from the hall closet and shrugging it on.

"Going somewhere?" Ellie inquired, unfazed.

Instead of answering, Alec demanded, "What's the number for the cab company?"

"Where are you going?"

"Home. Daisy's on her way over there, and her phone's turned off."

Ellie got up and grabbed her keys. "I'll drive you."

Alec glanced at her, and Ellie saw in his eyes that he was slipping back into the grouchy facade he hid behind. It made her inexplicably sad. Then the moment was over, and he nodded. "You're right. Thanks."

In the car, Alec explained the situation. "Daisy's been away at swim camp all week. When she found out what Tess had done, she lost it. Jumped in the car with her boyfriend and headed up here. If she gets to the house, and I'm not there..." He shook his head.

"Do you want me to wait for you?"

"No, thanks."

"Well," Ellie said, "ring if you want me to come pick you up."

She left Alec on the kerb outside his house. He waved awkwardly until she was out of sight, and turned away.

Climbing the front steps left him breathless, so he decided to wait for Daisy on the porch swing. He was determined not to worry her, and exhausting himself trying to get the door open wouldn't help.

Jackson's yellow Datsun was audible from three blocks away. Alec shook his head in dismay. If the thing had a muffler, it wasn't doing its job. It seemed pretty adept at breaking the speed limit, though.

All thoughts o fthe car evaporated when Daisy jumped out. Alec stood to meet her, and she ran right into his arms. He wrapped her in a huge hug, despitebeing knocked backward a couple of steps.

"Oh, sweetheart,I'm okay," he said, stroking her hair. "I'm okay."

"Ican't believe Mom did that to you!"

"Well,no harm done." Alec pulled back and kissed her forehead. "I'mfine, I promise."

Theysat on the porch swing, and Daisy held her dad's hand. "How are youfeeling?"

"Littlebetter every day," he assured her, nudging the swing along with hisfoot.

"Mumand I had a row, over what she did," Daisy admitted. "I told hershe was wrong. She didn't like that."

"Youshouldn't be fighting with your mum, especially over me."

"Iwish I'd never left here."

Alecsaw where this was going. "You can't transfer in the middle of theschool year. You'd play hell catching up."

"No,but I can spend my Christmas break here."

"Ifthat's what you want." Alec hoped she was serious; it would breakhis heart for real if she changed her mind at the last minute. "Maybewe'll accept one of the ten dinner invites I get every year."

"DoesEllie ever invite you?" Daisy asked slyly.

"Every.Bloody. Year."

"Whydon't you go?"

"Because,"Alec said firmly, "Ellie and I are not together. You knowthat. We don't feel that way for each other."

"No,but you're friends," Daisy reminded him. "And you alwayssay that friends are a family you choose."

"Turnin'my words back on me now?"

"Onlythe good ones."

"Fine,"Alec grumbled. "I'll talk to her about it."

"Good.Do you want to go out for dinner while I'm here?" Daisy offered.

Alecshook his head reluctantly. "I can't, sweetheart. Sorry."

"Iforgot, you're supposed to take it easy."

"SometimesI forget, too."

"Thenlet's not do anything." She leaned her head on his shoulder. "Let'sjust sit here a while."

"Thatsounds nice." Putting an arm around her, he rested his cheek on herhair. "I ever tell you how much I love you?"

"Yep.A lot."

"Good.You could say it back once in a while."

"Youpromised you wouldn't get soppy," Daisy reminded him.

"Ach,come on," Alec scoffed. "Can't you suspend the rule for today? Ialmost died, you know."

"Fiiine."She gave an exaggerated sigh. "Love you, Dad."

"Loveyou, too, darlin'." He turned his attention to the car, and theyoung man behind the wheel. "Is he scared of me?"

"Abit."

"Quiteright."