Chapter 2

3RD PERSON
Percy and Ash were used to the occasional weird experience because they would be over quickly. The rest of the year, everyone on campus acted like Mrs. Kerr has been here since Christmas. Ash had to keep Percy from asking people about Mrs.Dodds. They were both convinced that Grover knows more than he is leading on. They would both wake up in cold sweat thinking about Mrs.Dodds with talons and leathery wings. Percy started to get cranky and irritable most of the time. His grades slipped, and he would get into more fights with Nancy and her friends.

Ash would be there to back him up, which Percy was grateful for. However, the headmaster did send Percy's mom and Ash's stepmother letters the following week. They won't be invited back next year. Percy was fine with him because he was homesick. Ash, not so much because he would have to deal with his stepmother.

PERCY POV
I felt bad for Ash because he would have to deal with his dad and stepmother. They aren't the nicest people, and his dad is hardly around. While I had my amazing mom, sure, I have an obnoxious stepfather. We are going to miss Grover. Pulse, who is going to take care of him? We would also miss Latin class with Mr.Brunner. Also our exam was coming closer. We were studying until we got frustrated, so I threw the Cambridge Guide to Greek mythology across our dorm.

Things around Ash seemed to folat for a minute before they came crashing back down. I sighed and remembered that he said he accepted only the best out of us. So we decided to do something we never did before, ask a teacher for help. When we got there, all the rooms were dark except Mr.Brunner's, and the door was ajar. We were three steps from the door handle when I heard Mr.Brunner ask a question. The other voice was definitely Grover saying "... worried about Percy and Ash, sir." We froze. We usually don't eavesdrop, but it's hard not to when one of your best friends is talking about you to an adult.

We got closer. "... alone this summer, "Grover was saying. "I mean a Kindly One in the school! Now that we know for sure, and they know too-"
"We would only make things worse by rushing them," Mr.Brunner said. "We need the boys to mature more."
"But they may not have time. The summer solstice deadline-"
"Will have to be resolved without them, Grover. Let them enjoy their ignorance while they still can."
"Sir, they saw her..."
"Their imagination," Mr.Brunner insisted. "The Mist over the staff and students will be enough to convince them of that."
"Sir, I... I can't fail in my duties again. You know what that would mean." Said Gorver, getting choked with emotion.

"You haven't failed, Grover." Mr.Brunner said kingly. "I should have seen her for what she was. Now let's just worry about keeping Percy and Ash alive until next fall-" I dropped the mythology book. I opened the nearest door, and we slipped out. We waited in the dark for what seemed like forever, slipped into the hallway, and made our way to the dorm. Grover was on his bed studying his notes like he'd been there all night. He told us we look awful. I told him we're just tired.

ASH POV
The next afternoon as we were leaving the three-hour Latin exam. My eyes were swimming with all the Greek and Roman names I miss spelled. Mr.Brunner called us back inside. I was nervous that he found out about our eavesdropping last night. However, that didn't seem to be the problem. "Percy and Ash, don't be discouraged about leaving Yancey. It's... it's for the best." The other kids still taking the test could hear. We both mumbled ok.
"I mean..." He struggled to talk while wheeling back and forth. "This isn't the right place for you two. It was only a matter of time."

Wow, just wow. That heart for our favorite teacher tells us we can't handle it in front of the class. Not to mention, he said he believed in us all year. Now he was telling us we were going to get kicked out. "Right," Percy said, shaking. I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze.
"No, no," Mr.Brunner said. "Oh, confound it all. What I'm trying to say... you two aren't normal. That's nothing to be-"
"Thanks," Percy blurted before walking out. "Thanks a lot, sir, for reminding us."
"Percy...Ash-"
I was already out the door.

On the last day of term, Percy and I shoved our clothes into suitcases. The other guys were talking about vacation plans. I wasn't paying attention because I was thinking of ways to stay away from Maria and Ben's house for as long as I can. Ben is my 'dad', and Maria is my 'stepmother'. I would also be thinking about where I am going to school in the fall. Sally Percy's mom will probably help me. The hardest goodbye would be Grover, but it turns out he got a ticket for the same Greyhound as Percy and I to go to Manhattan. During the whole bus ride, Grover kept looking nervous down the aisle, watching the other passengers. He was nervous and fidgety when we left Yancey like he was expecting something bad to happen. Percy and I always assumed he was worried about being teased. There was no one, the Greyhound to tease him.

3RD PERSON
Percy couldn't take it anymore. "Looking for Kindly Ones?" Grover nearly jumped out of his seat before asking how he knew. Percy confessed about him, and Ash eavesdropping on him and Mr.Brunner the night before the exam. Grover's eye twitched. "How much did you two hear?"
"Oh... not much. What's the summer solstice deadline?"
He winced. "Look, Percy and Ash...I was just worried for you two see?" Ash then asked, "Why would you need to be worried?"
"Because you look awful like you haven't been sleeping." Percy then said, " Grover, you're a really, really bad liar." His ears turned pink. From his shirt pocket, he fished out two grubby business cards. "Just take these, ok? In case either of you need me this summer."

The card was in fancy letters, so it made it hard to read for both Percy and Ash to read with their dyslexic eyes. It took a bit, but they finally made out something like:
Grover Underwood
Keeper

Half-Blood Hill
Long Island, New York
(800)009-0009

Ash then asked, "What's Half-"
"Don't say it aloud!" He yelped. "That's my, um... summer address."

ASH POV
Great Grover had a summer home. Percy nor I ever considered his family might be as rick as the others at Yancey. Percy looked pretty down , and I don't blame him. Percy then said, "So, like if we want to come visit your mansion. He nodded before adding if we needed him. I asked why, and he said that he needed to protect us. No offense to Grover, but Percy and I spent all year getting into fights to keep bullies away. We lost sleep worrying if he's going to serve next year. A few minutes later, a huge grinding noise was under our feet. The black smoke started to come out of the dashboard. The driver told us we were stopping and that he would get it fixed in no time. We got out with the rest of the passengers.

On the other side of the highway, there was an old-fashioned fruit stand. Everything looked good. There were boxes of cherries, apples, walnuts, apricots, and jugs of cider. The only thing that felt off was the three old ladies sitting in rocking chairs under the shade of a maple tree, knitting a big pair of socks. The one on the right knitted one , the one on the left knitted the other one, and the one in the middle held a big basket of electric-blue yarn. They all looked ancient, and the weirdest part is it felt like they were looking straight at me and Percy.

PERCY POV
"Grover?" I said. "Hey man-"
"Tell me they aren't looking at you and Ash. They are, aren't they?"
"Yeah. Weird, huh? Do you think those socks would fit me?"
"Not funny, Percy. It's not funny at all."
The lady in the middle took out a huge pair of gold and silver, long bladder like shears. Grove caught his breath. He then told us we were getting back on the bus. I told him it's too hot but he insisted. He pried open the door and got in. Ash and I stayed back. The old ladies across the road were still watching us.

The middle one cut the yearn. I swear I could hear that snip across four lanes of traffic. Ash must have heard it, too. The driver got the bus to work, so we all got back on the bus. When we got back on, I started to feel feverish, as did Ash. Grover didn't look much better. He was shivering, and his teeth were chattering.
"Grover?"
"Yeah?"
"What are you not telling us?"
He dabbed his forehead with his shirt sleeve before asking me what I saw. So I told him. He then closed his eyes and made a gesture with his fingers that might've been crossing himself, but it wasn't. It was something older.

He then asked, "You saw her snap the cord?"
"Yeah. So?" But even as I said it, l knew it was a big beal. "This is not happening," Grover mumbled. He mumbled. He started to chew his thumb. "I don't want this to be like last time."
Ash finally spoke. "What last time?"
"Always sixth grade. They never get past sixth." "Grover, "I said because he was really starting to scare me. I looked over at Ash. He also looked scared. "What are you talking about?"
"Let me walk you two home from the bus station. Promise me." That was a strange request, but we both promised.
"Is this like a superstition or something?"Ash asked. He didn't didn't answer.
"Grover- the snipping of the yarn. Does that mean someone is going to die?" He looked at Ash and I mournfully, like he was already picking the kind of flowers we'd like best on our coffins.