Chapter 10

ASH POV
I went back to mine and Percy's cabin to pack. The camp store loaned me one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. Chrion gave me Percy, Annabeth, and Mason, a canteen of nectar and a zip lock bag full of ambrosia squares. Annabeth was taking her magic Yankees cap, a book on architecture, and a long bronze knife. Grover had a backpack full of scrap metal and apples. He also had a set of reed pipes. Mason has a backpack and his ax.

We said goodbye to the other campers and then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree. I placed my hand on it and felt a strong surge of magic that made my hand tingle a little. Chrion was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him was the man who had eyes all over his body. Today, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform. Apparently, his name is Argus. Luke ran up to us and gave Percy a pair of normal looking sneakers. That was until they sprouted wings for the heels. They looked harmless, but I could since a wired type of magic around them. Like they are cursed, but I didn't say anything.

Percy then gave them to Grover since he couldn't use them. Being the son of Poseidon and all. Chiron gave him the same ballpoint pen for the mesumen. Percy took off the cap, and a three inch long bronze sword appeared in his hand. The metal is apparently called celestial bronze, and it can only kill monsters and immortals. I lost interest and went to the SUV and got in.

Unfortunately, I got in the seat next to Mason. I started to play with the necklace that my mom gave me. Mason then looked at me. He was about to say something when Percy got in.

Percy and Annabeth were talking about why they couldn't be friends, but I wasn't really listening.

PERCY POV
It took us a while to get to the bus station. By the time we got there, it was getting bark, and it started to rain. Great, just great. Argus dropped us off at the Greyhound Station not far from my mom and Gade's apartment. Taped to a mailbox were soggy flyers. One had my picture on it, and the other one had Ash's picture on it. Ash also saw them because of the panicked look he gave me. I ripped them down before Annabeth, Grover, or Mason saw them. Argus unloaded our bags, made sure we got our bus tickets, and then drove away.

I thought about how close I was to my old apartment. On a normal day, my mom would be home from the candy store by now. Smelly Gabe was probably up there right now playing poker, not missing her. Grover shouldered his backpack and looked down the street in the direction I was looking. He then told me my mom married Gade because his smell was so strong it covered my demigod scent. Hearing that my mom did that to porcet me made me more determined to get her back. I could tell Ash felt the same way.

I wonder if Grover can still have my emotions, as mixed up as they were. I was glad to have Annabeth, Grover, Ash, and even Mason with me. I also felt guilty for lying about why I said yes to the quest. I don't care about Zeus's lighting bolt, or saving the world, or helping my father. The more I think about it, I resented Poseidon for never being there or helping my mom. Not to mention that he only claimed me because he needed a job done. I wonder how Ash feels about all of this.

I looked over to see Ash absolutely destroying the flip phone. I don't blame him because his 'dad' only gave it to him so he could yell at Ash. My thoughts drifted to two lines of the prophecy: You will be betrayed by one you call a friend. You will fail to save what matters most in the end. I told my brain to shut up.

ASH POV
It keeps raining. We got bored waiting for the bus and decided to play Hacky Sack with one of the apples that Grover brought. Annabeth was good. She could bounce the apple off her knee, her elbow, her shoulder, and anywhere else. Percy and I weren't too bad. Mason just walked, claiming that it was a stupid game. The game ended when Percy threw the apple too close to Grover's month. He ate the whole thing. He blushed while trying to apologize. Percy, Annabeth, and I were too busy laughing.