Chapter 15

ASH POV
We had seven days for the summer solstice, seven days until the deadline. That thought made me slightly nervous but I didn't voice my concerns. All of us were in rough shape and smelled bad. I mean the last time we showered was at Half-Blood Hill. "Let's try to contact Chiron", Annabeth said. "I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit." Percy nodded his head. "I'm guessing we can't use phones?" I asked her. Annabeth just nodded her head yes. We walked through downtown for about half an hour. I don't know what Annabeth is hoping to find. The air was hot and stuffy which was way different from the humidity in St. Louis. We were surrounded by the Rocky Mountains which was also a huge difference. We made it a do-it-yourself car wash. I wasn't quite sure what she was looking for here.

We went to the stall farthest from the street. The last thing we need is to be questioned by the cops. "What exactly are we doing?" Percy asked Grover as he took out the spray gun. "It's seventy-five cents," Grover grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left. Annabeth, Mason?" "Don't look at us," she said. "The dining car wiped us out." "All of my money was in my backpack. Sorry Grover." I said, sad that I couldn't help. Percy garhterd the last bite of change he had and handed Grover a quarter. "Excellent," said Grover. "We could do it with the spray bottle, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arm gets tired of pumping." "What are you talking about?" Percy asked, voicing my question. "I-M'ing" Was Grover's short answer as he put the quotes. "Instant messaging?" I rolled my eyes at Percy's question. "Iris-messaging," Annabeth corrected. "The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and if she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods." I guess that makes sense. "You summon the goddess with a spray gun?" Percy asked, clearly confused.

3RD PERSON
Grover pointed the nozzle in the air and water hissed out into a thick white mist. "Unless you know an easier way to make a rainbow," Grover said to Percy. The late afternoon sun came through the vapor and turned into a small rainbow. Annabeth held out her hand to Percy. "Drachma, please." He gave it to her. Annabeth raised the coin over her head. "O goddess, accept our offering." She then threw it into the rainbow. The coin disappeared in a golden shimmer. "Half-Blood Hill," Annabeth requested. Nothing happened for a second then they were looking through the mist at the strawberry fields. It seemed like they were on the porch of the Big House. Standing there with his back turned to them was Luke. "Luke!" Percy called. He turned wide eyed. It looked like he was standing three feet from them in a screen of mist. However they could only see the top half of his body. "Percy!" Luke's face broke into a grin. "Is that Annabeth, too? Thank the gods! Are you guys ok?"

Annabeth stammered while trying to straighten her shirt and comb the loose hair out her face. That caused Ash and Mason to give her an amused look. "We thought-Chiron- I mean-" "He's down at the cabins." Luke's smile faded. "We're having some issues with the campers. Listen, is everything cool with your? Is Grover, Ash, and Mason all right?" Ash and Mason gave him a thumbs up. "I'm right here," Grover called. He held the nozzle out to one side and stepped into Luke's line of sight. "What kind of issues?" A second later a big Lincoln Continental pulled into the car wash. Hip-hop music blasting through the speakers while it slid into the next stall. The music caused the pavement to shake. "Chiron had to- what's that noise?" Luke yelled. "I'll take care of it!" Annabeth yelled back. "Grover, Mason come on!" "What?" Grover said. "But-" "Give Ash the nozzle and come on!" She ordered.

PERCY POV
Grover muttered something about girls being harder to understand than the Oracle at Delphi; then he handed the spray gun to Ash and followed Annabeth and Mason. Ash stood there holding the hose. "Chiron had to break up a fight," Luke shouted over the music. "Things are pretty tense here, Percy. Word leaked out about the Zeus-Poseidon standoff. We're still not sure how- probably the same scumbag who summoned the hellhound. Now the campers are starting to take sides. It's shaping up like the Trojan War all over again. Aphrodite, Ares, and Apollo are backing Poseidon, more or less. Athena backing Zeus." I shuddered to think that Clarisse's cabin would ever side with my dad. In the next stall we heard Annabeth and some guy arguing, then the music's volume lowered drastically.