Chapter 3

ASH POV
I hate to say this, but we left Grover at the bus stop. He was scaring us and looking at us like we were already dead. Grover was muttering, "Why does this always happen?" And "Why does it always have to be sixth grade?" Whenever he got upset, the muttering would get worse. I tried to calm him down, but it didn't work.

So, of course, he made us promise to wait for him. When the bus stopped, we got our suitcases and got in the first cab headed upstate. The ride to Percy's was silent until my phone rang. It wasn't much, just an old flip phone. " Where are you!?"said Maria in a sharp tone. "In a cab," I said with a sigh. I hung up before she could say anything else. Percy looked at me questionly and shook my head. We sat in a slice until we reached the apartment complex. The only thing I am not looking forward to is Percy's stepfather Gade or as Percy, and I like to call him Smelly Gabe. He is a jerk like Maria. I'm pretty sure they are related somehow. We were both hoping Sally would be there, but sadly, she wasn't. It was just Gade and his poker buddies.

PERCY POV
"Where's my mom?"
"Working," he said. "You got any cash?" I heard Ash huff form somewhere behind me. "I don't have cash," I lied. Of course, he would know I am lying because he could sniff it out like a bloodhound. "You took a taxi from the bus station. Probably paid with a twenty. Got six, seven bucks in change, "he said.

I rolled my eyes, then dug a wad of dollars out of my pocket and threw it on the table. While walking to my room, I told Gade I hope he loses. I dropped my suitcase on the bed and Ash put his in kroner. Home sweet home. I then heard the voice of the person I missed the most, my mom. "Percy?" She opened the bedroom door. Just being in the same room makes me feel better. "Oh, Percy, you've grown since Christmas, so have you, Ash!" She gave me a hug before going and giving Ash one. We then talked about how school went, and Ash and I almost lasted the whole year. I left out some parts like Mrs.Dodds and the three old ladies with yarn. I left bad for lying, but it would sound stupid.

Thankfully, she didn't push the subject. "I have a surprise for you and Ash. We are going to the beach, "she said.
Mines and Ash's eyes widened. We were going to Montauk and staying for three nights in the same cabin.

ASH POV
We are leaving as soon as Sally changes out of her work clothes. We only had to deal with Gade until she was ready to leave. It took a bit to convince Gade to let us go. Percy and I had to apologize for interrupting his 'important' poker game. We are going to have to tell her what we forgot to mention when we get to Montauk. Her eyes were filled with the same anxiety Grover had buring the bus ride. She definitely knew something we didn't.

An hour later, we left. Before we got out the door, Percy and I had to promise not to get a single scratch on his 78 Camaro. When we got there it was sunset and we opened all the windows. We then took a walk on the beach, eating blue candy that Sally got from her job. You may be wondering why blue food is? Simple because Gade said there was no such thing as blue food, so Sally found a way to make everything she cold blue. At dark, we made a fire and rooted hot dogs and marshmallows while Sally told us about her childhood before her parents died. She also told us about the books she wanted to write when she had enough money to quit the candy shop.

Percy eventually got the nerve to ask about his bad. While Sally was telling him my mind wandered to where my mom was. When I would ask Ben, he would tell me I had her black hair and the sky blue in my eyes. I had his olive skin and got the misty green in my eyes from him.

I wasn't mad at my mom, just confused why I never met her. I only remember having Maria in my life. I'm also scared because weird things would happen when I get emotional. The only time I asked Maria for help, she just called me a freak and a spawn of Satan. Ben was no help either because he would lock me in my room.

PERCY POV
I was sad that my mom wanted to send me to a summer camp and not see me again. She also wanted to send Ash there. I looked over to see that he was sad. He probably overheard what my mom told me.

We then went inside and went to bed. As soon as I closed my eyes, I started to have a strange dream. It was where a horse and eagle were trying to kill each other. I tried to stop them, but I was running in slow motion. The eagle divided down and aimed its beak amid the horse's eye. That is when I woke up.

It was really stormy outside. Like the type that can cause a lot of damage. Ash was also awake equally as shaken. With the next thunderclap, my mom woke. She sat up wide-eyed and said, "Hurricane." That didn't make sense. Long Island never had them this early. A desperate voice was yelling, followed by pounding on the cabin door. My mom got up and opened the door. Grover stood in the doorway, but he wasn't exactly Grover. "Searching all night," he gasped. "What were you two thinking?" She looked at us in terror and made us tell her everything. She then told us to get to the car.

I was too shocked to wonder how Grover got here by himself and how I could understand him when he cursed in greek. Ash pulled me towards the car. Grover ran well and trotted after us. His story about a muscular disorder in he legs and how he could run so fast now made sense. He didn't have feet. He had cloven hooves.