IX

"Hailee baby," Darla-May says. I feel the bed dip and feel her hand on my thigh, gently. "Hailee, you've been like this since last night. Are you okay?" I say nothing, gripping onto the blanket that's covering my body. I stare at the wall. It's true. I have been looking at it since running away from Parker. I didn't go to classes today. I didn't do anything today. "Hailee, hey. Did Parker do something? Do I need to beat their ass?"

     I shake my head. Darla-May pats my thigh and  then moves on the bed.

    "If you don't start talking I'm going to find Parker," Darla-May says and a sigh escapes my lips. I turn my head over my shoulder finding Darla-May's blue hair and her fully dressed. Obviously. She's been at classes all day. "Hailee- oh my god. What's wrong?"

    Her head tilts to the side. Her eyes soften as she hurries back to the bed sitting down on the edge. I shake my head and look away to the wall.

    I feel her hand gently squeeze my arm. I close my eyes and the image of Parker kissing me plays through my head. Last night was a lot. The things Parker was saying, describing was a lot but for some reason when I ran I felt like I made a mistake. I made a mistake by taking off.

    "Hailee please, you're scaring me," Darla-May eagerly spoke, scooting closer on the bed. Her hand squeezes my arm under the blanket. I turn my head, glancing to Darla-May. Her eyes soften even more. "Hailee baby?"

    "I fucked up Darla-May," I choke out. Darla-May squints her eyes. She shakes her head from side to side but I nod my head. "I did."

    "You could never fuck up Hailee. You're too perfect for that," Darla-May says giving a smile. I shake my head though.

   "I'm human Darla. I can fuck up and I did. Bad," I whisper laying my head back. My hazel eyes going to the ceiling. Darla-May moves her hand off of my arm and cups her hands together in her lap from what I can see out of the corner of my eye. I shake my head. Tears slowly sliding down my cheeks. Have been since I got home.

    "Okay, how did you fuck up badly?" Darla-May's voice is softer now. Concerned actually. She had her moments. Times where she could be a dick and funny. Other times she could be sweet. Not very often though.

    "I ran away," I whisper.

   "Ran away? From whom? Parker? Why? They're a catch."

   "They are but I got... scared I guess, and I ran out on them."

   "Okay? Just call them and let her know that you got scared. Being honest is a good policy."

   "You don't understand-" I sit up now reaching my hands up to my face. I push my hair out of the way and wipe at the tears on my face. I can feel Darla-May's brown eyes watching me. I drop my hands and look at her.

    "Hailee," she tilts her head to the side. A thin smile inching her lips. She reaches her hand up and twirls my hair in her finger before placing it down, letting it rest there on my chest. She reaches her hand up and cups my cheek in the palm of her hand. Her thumb gently rubbing back and forth. "Were you two doing it? You got scared they were going to pull something weird?"

    I reach up and push her hand away. She laughs and I roll my eyes. I say nothing, only push the blankets off of me and try to get out of the bed. Darla-May stands to allow me extra room. When I get out I walk towards the bathroom only to hear her sit back down.

    "Oh my god that's what happened," she says and I stop at the door. "Something happened when you two were about to do it. That has to be it."

    "Darla-"