missing, mat barzal

𝓦𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝

𝓦𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 . . . 𓂃 ࣪˖ ִֶָ𐀔 ❪ hockey imagines ❫
❝ we found wonderland. ❞
    © 𝟤𝟢𝟤𝟥 ━━ -danify ゚𐦍༘⋆

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

in which [y/n] and mat realize
that there is something missing
in their relationship

s.her reader |  angst

It was nearly 2 in the morning when Mat arrived at home. He had a game against the Capitals just a few hours ago. Unfortunately, Mat didn't win.

Usually, when a game doesn't end well, Mat returns home quickly. He takes a shower and eats dinner before cuddling with you on the sofa. He's usually quiet during that time. His mind still running over all the mistakes that were made in the game. You'd play with his hair and whisper sweet words in his ear. Then the two of you would head to bed together, wrapped in each other's arms.

However, the last few months have been different. Mat comes home late in the night no matter if the team won or lost. He barely made it home to share a warm meal with you. When the two of you would lay down in your bed, you both slept on opposite sides. In the morning, Mat would be gone before you even woke up. He didn't bother to leave a note or send you a text.

You've also begun to behave differently in the last couple of months. Recently, you seemed to get more frustrated easily. Your patience had dropped and you were more upset than happy. You began not to care when Mat didn't return home on time. You didn't bother checking up on him or calling one of his teammates to make sure he was okay. You weren't sure what it was that made you feel this way, but you were growing sick and tired of it.

Something needed to change. You feared that you already knew the answer to your problems. You just didn't want to face it.

When Mat came home, you were sitting on the sofa. Your packed suitcases lay by the front door; confusing the man who had just walked in.

Mat dropped his bag down in the hallway and kicked off his shoes before making his way into the living room. He was watching you with cautious eyes. He noticed how you had your shoes on and your keys in your hand, ready to leave.

"What's going on..?" Mat asked. He wasn't sure what to do with himself. He didn't sit down, instead, he awkwardly stood at the foot of the sofa.

"Mat..." you started, "I'm leaving."

Silence was created between the two of you. Mat's mind felt like it was on fire. So many questions ran through his head. He didn't understand. He wanted to understand. He thought you were happy. He thought everything was going well. He knew that he had been acting distant and distracted lately but that was only because of the stress from the season.

"I don't understand. Why? What do you mean you're leaving?" He questions.

"I'm going back home. Back to Michigan."

"But why?" He moves to lean against the wall.

"Mat, there's something wrong with us. Something is missing in this relationship. Neither of us has been acting like ourselves for months. We rarely talk, we never have dinner together, hell, we barely ever kiss! I've been driving myself crazy every day saying that something is gonna change but it hasn't. I think we need a break." You explained to him how you feel. You watch his face fall when you mention the word 'break'. Mat had a frown on his lips as he looked down at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"If you want some space, I'll go stay with one of the guys. [Y/n], you don't have to—"

"I know I don't have to leave, Mat. But, I want to. I need to get out of here and clear my head. I think you need to do the same." You say.

Mat sighs deeply before walking over to the sofa and sitting next to you. He hesitantly rested his hand on your knee. You brought your hand and laid it on top of his. The pad of his thumb rubbed against your leg soothingly.

"I'm so sorry it got to this point." His voice comes out like a whisper. His eyes focused down at your hand that was on top of his. The hand where your engagement ring wrapped around your ring finger perfectly.

"It's nobody's fault, Mat. Don't apologize. Things happen and sometimes, there's nothing we can do about it."

"I love you, so fucking much [Y/n]." He looks up at you with watery eyes.

Tears were already threatening to stream down your face the moment Mat walked through those doors. Your heart clenched when he brought a finger to your face to wipe away the tears that escaped your eyes.

"I love you too, Mat. I always will." Your words cracked at the end as you stared into Mat's eyes.

Neither of you bothered to look away. You continued to stare into each other's eyes for what seemed to be hours. The sound of your alarm going off was the only thing that snapped you out of your trance.

"I need to get going, or I'll miss my flight."

Mat nodded. He helped you up from the sofa before walking over to the front door and grabbing some of your suitcases. He began loading your car up with your belongings. As much as he wanted to do everything in the slowest way possible to stall you from leaving, he knew he had to do the right thing.

When everything was packed up tight, Mat stood in front of you with a glowing red nose and tinted cheeks. He looked you in the eyes before his gaze dropped down to your lips. You guys seemed to have communicated in silence because the next thing you knew was Mat's lips on your own.

Your hands wrapped around his neck while his hands fell on your hips and pulled you closer. The two of you were attempting to savor this kiss as much as you could. Neither of you knew when the next time you'd see each other would be. In that moment, you wanted to be in Mat's hold and he wanted to be with you.

Mat was the first to break the kiss. He cleared his throat and turned his body to guide you to the driver's seat of your car. When you were all buckled up, Mat gave you a sad smile which you returned with a sad smile of your own.

Part of your mind was telling you to step out of the car and stay. Stay with Mat and fix things together. The other part of your mind was telling you that it was time to let go. Both you and Mat needed space from each other and needed to find yourselves. As much as you wanted to exit your car and jump back into his arms, you pushed that feeling down and started the engine. Mat didn't bother to stop the tears from falling down his face. He knew that this was going to be a difficult challenge for both of you.

You gave him one more glance before gripping your steering wheel. "Goodbye, Mat."

"Goodbye, [Y/n]."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

word count :: 1224

hope you enjoyed <3

𝓦𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝 . . . 𓂃 ࣪˖ ִֶָ𐀔 ❪ hockey imagines ❫
❝ we found wonderland. ❞
    © 𝟤𝟢𝟤𝟥 ━━ -danify ゚𐦍༘⋆