The Whys and Wherefores

Every damn thing about him was focused on helping her, finding answers. When his eyes met mine I may as well have been looking in a mirror, well a mirror from ten years ago. I waited until we got outside and back in Baby before I said anything and he was too busy fuming about Rebecca being in so much pain to talk.

"Two things, first, you didn't want to come along just because of Oliver's leadership style did you?"

He kept his eyes focused front but shook his head.

"Right, okay, second thing. Shove that anger down, save it for later. Now how about you tell me the real reason you're here."

"We don't help the people of the city anymore, at least I don't feel like we do."

"Didn't you guys just save them from the League?"

"Which would never have been a damn issue if Oliver hadn't sheltered Merlyn!"

He was beyond pissed.

"He did that for Thea."

"Bullshit! The best way to protect Thea would have been to be upfront, you know that Dean!"

If he clenched his jaw any tighter he was going to break some teeth. I should know. "We've been over this. Why are you holding onto it still? He made his choice, right or wrong, if you want to work with him you've got to get past shit like this."

I figured we may as well take the long way to the next house and turned onto a side road that seemed to lead up into the hills.

"It's been months since we actually stopped drug dealers or helped the police catch actual damn criminals. What we used to do. All his "choices"," he put a pretty bitter emphasis on that word, "have kept us from doing our real job. Help the actual people, save them, put criminals behind bars. Dig and I had a huge conversation a few weeks back about how when Oliver first showed up as the Hood he had a list of people to kill from his Dad. Some conspiracy thing that Merlyn was a part of. Then Dig convinced Oliver to actually fight for the people, not his own agenda. That's why I'm still alive, because Oliver was trying to stop crime."

"Okay, and?"

"Then Merlyn comes back, starts shit and all of a sudden we're back on Oliver's agenda. I've tried to go do things on my own but it's seems like every damn minute Oliver needs something or is off trying to get killed without telling us why."

"Anyone know you're out doing the solo vigilante gig?"

"No. And yes, I know hypocritical that makes me."

"Wow, pot, kettle and all that. If it makes you feel any better you've been acting the same way Sam and I used to. Congrats, you've learned everything you can from us. I'll get you your hunter/vigilante diploma and you can be on your way. Good luck." He didn't even grin a little at that. "So you came out with us to what?"

"Felicity and Oliver told me about what you guys have done, at least what they know and it sounded like no matter what happened you guys still remembered to do your job. Save people. I just wanted to see how you managed to stay on track even with the world blowing up all around you, and.."

He gave this sort of half shrug thing and stopped talking. "You wanted to help people without all the drama?"

"I guess. Just do what feels right for once."

"Well, I won't argue with you there. I know that feeling all too well. Let's get back to it then. Rebecca, her story, what did you think?" The topic change threw him off, I figured I owed him an explanation, "One of my other guiding principles in life, no chick flick moments."