8

While the Oompa-Loompa was escorting a distraught Mrs. Gloop, I asked Willy.

"Willy?" I spoke up.

"Huh?" He looked down at me.

"Why would Augustus' name already be in the Oompa-Loompa song? Unless— " I began, but a hush quickly interrupted me.

"Improvisation is a parlor trick. Anyone can do it," he smiled.

Willy then shifted his attention to Violet and prompted, "You, little girl. Say something. Anything."

Violet, as obvious as she is, replied, "Chewing gum."

"Chewing gum is really gross. Chewing gum, I hate the most," he said in a playful tone. He turned back to me again. "See? Exactly the same."

"No, it isn't," Mike objected.

"Uh, you really shouldn't mumble. Because I can't understand a word you're saying," Willy said, while Mike simply stared.

"Now, on with the tour!" He resumed leading everyone. Miss Mitchell and I, behind our group, engaged in a hushed conversation to ensure it went unnoticed by the others.

"Who gave you the idea to call him by his first name?" she asked.

I answered, "He mentioned that 'Mr.' or 'Sir' sounds too old for him. I don't quite understand his reasoning."

As she gazed at Willy, she remarked, "He may appear quite youthful for the title of mister, but his respectfulness certainly impresses me."

I let out an exasperated sigh and muttered, "Miss Mitchell, please tell me you're not considering him."

She chuckled softly and responded, "Oh, you silly (Y/N). Romance rarely unfolds in the blink of an eye!"

🍫🍫🍫

As Willy led us to the river's edge, I noticed a boat resembling a pink seahorse approaching. It had rear seats and was manned by a large number of Oompa-Loompas dressed in blue. They rowed the boat to a halt, collectively breaking into giggles.

"What's so funny?" Violet asked, chewing her gum. Willy leaned his head and quipped, "I think it's from all those doggone cocoa beans."

"Hey, by the way, did you guys know that chocolate contains a property that triggers the release of endorphins?" he shared. "Gives one the feeling of being in love."

"You don't say," Mrs. Beauregarde said with a flirtatious gaze. Willy just looked at her as we cringed at her attempt.

Willy turned his attention back to the boat and cheerfully exclaimed, "All aboard!" We proceeded to board the boat at a leisurely pace.

First, it was the Beauregarde's, then the Teavee's, then the Salts' and finally me and Miss Mitchell. I assumed that there's no space left for the Gloop's, as if it were predicted that they'd leave the group.

I adjusted my seating position to look nicely on the boat. Willy sat beside us and shouted, "Onward!"

Among the sounds of the big drum and the rhythmic rowing of the Oompa-Loompas, the boat slowly began to glide away from the riverbank.

All was silent until Willy grabbed a pink ladle and scooped up a small portion from the chocolate river.

"Here. Try some of this. It'll do you good. You look starved to death!" he said with concern.
Gratefully, I held on to the ladle and took a little sip, tasting its delightful flavor. "It's great!" I said. I passed the ladle to Miss Mitchell so she could have a taste.