EPILOGUE

Three years later...

From my room, I had a great view of the factory. It was hard to believe that it had been three years since I last saw the place, ever since I was adopted by my new dad.

Life had become extraordinarily comfortable for a ten-year-old like me, a reality I hadn't expected, but it was the path fate had laid out. My dad had taught me everything there was to know about the factory, just in case I would someday take his place.

But that wasn't a concern at all. All the lessons from the grown-ups at the orphanage and my dad at the factory had stuck to me like glue!

"(Y/N), breakfast's ready!" my mom called. I guess it's not much of a surprise, but Miss Mitchell had become my mother. I wasn't sure how my dad had caught Miss Mitchell's attention, but it had taken them months before she accepted his proposal.

Their wedding didn't need much elaboration, but it was the most heartwarming ceremony I had ever attended. It was a private event, attended only by close friends and family.

I made my way downstairs to find that my parents had already started their breakfast. "Good morning, Mom! Good morning, Dad!" I greeted each of them with a hug before settling into my usual chair for breakfast.

"Good news, (Y/N)! I'm granting you a day off today!" Dad announced with a grin.

"What does that mean?" I asked with a mouthful of food.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," Mom reminded me. I quickly swallowed and apologized.

"To answer your question, it's your monthly visit to your orphanage!" he added. I couldn't help but smile wide. After breakfast, I insisted on washing the dishes, even though they tried to dissuade me.

The day was perfect for a spring outing, so I chose to wear a flower-printed dress. My mother had saved it for this special occasion, and I was grateful for her thoughtfulness.

"Sweetie, come downstairs when you're ready. The children have missed you so much, and you can expect a wonderful surprise!" she smiled. So, I followed her and Dad outside the house.

Then, my parents went their separate ways: Dad headed to the factory, and Mom and I were off to the orphanage. Dad had already built a house close to the factory for convenience, so he didn't have to go to great lengths for his daily walk.

As we strolled along, Mom and I engaged in conversation. Everyone used to joke about Miss Mitchell being my mom that people had assumed I was her daughter. But, that wasn't true until the wedding.

Finally, we arrived at the place where my life began, Roseville Homes for Kids. "Are you ready, (N/N)?" my Mom asked. Flustered at the nickname she'd given me, I nodded.

As Mom opened the doors, we were met with cheers from the children inside. Streamers burst forth in a burst of color, just as I loved, and the kids were dressed in their finest outfits, all set for a special presentation.

"Well, let's go inside, shall we?" I said, linking my arm with hers.

"We shall!" I beamed. Together, we made our way to the function area, ready to embrace the heartfelt reunion with the children.

🍫🍫🍫

The celebration was a joyful occasion! My eyes welled up with tears as the children sang their songs. It filled me with pride to be a part of it in some way. As we enjoyed the snacks, a group of kids gathered around, eager to hear more about my life.

I hesitated at first, but I couldn't resist sharing some more stories with them. Then, it was time to leave. The children were understandably disappointed, but I vowed to adjust my schedule to make time for both the factory and the orphanage during the weeks ahead.