13

// A/N: You think that this story would end here? You're going to wait for one more chapter. :) //

When things look rough, I often find peace in taking a leisurely stroll. It provided some time to relax, yet the enticing idea didn't cease to occupy my thoughts.

I thought about accepting the offer, but Mr. Wonka needed to resolve his personal conflicts first. From the very beginning, something seemed amiss, and now I was making an effort to make a connection.

For starters, he seemed unable to utter the word "parents." Moreover, any questions about his own childhood were deflected. Lastly, he appeared unconcerned with the notion of "family."

What grudge did he bear against me? Did he believe I could thrive without a family?

My thoughts were abruptly disrupted as I nearly tripped to the ground. I had been so preoccupied that I hadn't paid much attention to my surroundings.

"Oh, my apologies, sir. I wasn't watching where I was..." I began, but he promptly interjected, apologizing himself and claiming responsibility for placing his foot in my path. I insisted on sharing the blame, but he still took full responsibility.

Well, at least I was unharmed.

Appearing unruffled, I was about to walk away when he unexpectedly remarked, "Take a seat; I don't mind the company of youngsters." There was something about his voice that struck a chord, though I couldn't quite place it. So, I followed his suggestion and sat a little bit away from him.

The man was engrossed in a newspaper, his face obscured. "It's a shame about that chocolate fellow, Wendel, uh, Walter-" he commented.

I corrected him, "Willy Wonka."

"That's the one," he acknowledged. "That's the one. Says here in the paper that his new candies aren't selling very well. But I suppose maybe he's just a rotten egg who deserves it."

Well, to me, he was a decent individual! However, I managed to maintain my composure and let out a sigh, "He's not that bad, just a little troubled."

"Oh, really? Have you ever met him?" he inquired.

"Yes, about a week ago. My initial impression was that he's just an eccentric guy. But when he made that offer, I declined and revealed my true desires. I still wonder if I should've never said that, but it's all in the past," I replied, gazing up at the sky.

"He's...very strange, with a mind that follows a straight line and no signs to lead the way, and no offense, he is got a funny haircut," I joked.

The man quickly lowered his newspaper, revealing himself to be Willy Wonka. "I do not!" he protested.

"Huh, then seriously, why are you here?" I huffed.

"I don't feel so hot. What makes you feel better when you feel terrible?" he groaned. A simple answer to a complicated question.

"Um, let's see. I love the things I liked, especially the orphanage," I replied. "I mean, what do you have against the concept of family?"

He felt a little nervous before taking off his glasses. "It's not about the orphanage; it's the whole idea of...oh, I give up. Parents tell you what to do and what not to do, and it's not conducive to a creative atmosphere."

"From what I've observed in my neighborhood, they are more than willing to protect you because they genuinely care about you," I said with a warm smile, but Willy averted his gaze.

I delicately clasped his gloved hands and continued, "I understand you have doubts, but it's been years since you last saw your family. If you don't believe me, you should reach out to them or pay them a visit."