Chapter 3: Nora's First Game

As Nanu and Nanna wrap up their fight, the tanned male walks over to the trio, a smile on his face. "So, get the gist the game yet?" He asked.

"Yeah, Miss Athena was really helpful when we asked questions." Damien nodded. "You two think you're ready for a game?" He then asked the two young women.

"Yeah! That looked super fun!" Tubas cheered happily, and Nora nodded in agreement.

"Perfect. Nora, how about you play against...me? And Yuhae can fight against..." Damien scans the group of fighters, and just lands on Alice Kanzaki in the crowd. "Alice."

"Huh?" The lavender haired girl turns her head when hearing her name. "Someone say my name?" She asked.

"Yes, that was me. I know you don't know me, but I'll explain later." He says, and gently lets Yuhae step up.

"Heh. Fresh meat, huh? Sure. I'm itching for a good fight after watching one. Don't disappoint me, newbie!" Alice shouts and rushes over to one of the tables, which Yuhae follows to.

Once those two step up to their table, Damien and Nora set up their own table, getting ready to play a round of good old Vanguard. "Are you ready?" Damien asked, and his daughter nodded. "Then imagine it. We just arrived on the surface of Planet Cray as weak astral bodies. Our only way to do battle is to take the form of the natives that inhabit this planet." Damien says with a smile and closed his eyes.

While Nora was a bit confused, she followed her Dad's lead and tried to focus. To imagine it, as he put it. She got herself a rough image, but nothing concrete.

"Now then, are you ready?" Damien asked. "Stand up, my!"

"Ah! Stand up!"

"VANGUARD!!"

"Bioroid Youth, Rorowa!" Damien exclaims proudly, taking the form of a young green haired swordsman.

"Chrono Dran!" Nora says, not as proudly, but tried to match her father's energy. "You can go first, dad. Just so I can remind myself how this goes..."

"Alright then. I draw. Then I discard a card to ride Awakening from Slumber, Rorowa. Using his skill when placed, I call a Plant token. Then I end my turn." Damien takes his first turn and smiles.

"O-Okay then... Draw. Discard this card, and ride M-Masergear Dragon?" Nora stutters, wondering if she was reading this right. She was. "Using Chrono Dran's skill, I draw because I went second. Then Masergear's skill, I draw again and get a Chronojet Dragon Crest card. Then I attack you." Nora went through the motions she saw from the fight she watched moments prior.

"I guard." Damien blocks this attack with a Critical Trigger he had in his hand.

"Wha—? Already?" Nora was confused, but continued. "When the Vanguard attacks...perform a drive check. Check. No Trigger. I end my turn."

"Then I draw. Discard and ride The World 3000 Years Later, Rorowa. Using his skill, I retire my Plant token to call two more." Damien arranged his garden in a way to that the tokens can attack her. He was getting aggressive right from the get go. "Attack with Rorowa."

Nora looks at her hand. She had plenty of cards in her hand to protect herself with, but she thought that maybe it would be better to horde them for later. "No guard." She declares.

"Drive check. Got it, Critical Trigger! Critical to Rorowa, power to my Plant."

This made Nora panic. He got a Crit?! Just like that?! It was supposed to be her first damage! "D-Damage check..." Nora turns over the two cards of her deck, not getting a single defensive trigger.

"My Plant attacks next with support. 20k." Damien smiles.

Nora looks at her hand again and starts doing some math. "Guard with Steam Gunner, Ilushma...! 23k total!" She says and successfully protects herself.