Chapter 12: 'MURICA

"Whoa, look at that!" Alex said as Rick pointed out landmarks.

Scott was busy reading through the Book of Amun-Ra to really pay attention, as the zephyr approached the Empire State building to dock. Scott hear footsteps and turned, only to see a woman with reddish-brown skin wearing what looking like jeans and a scarf with cheetah spots as well as a white shirt standing there. "Well, don't just stare, how did I do?" Mafdet asked.

"You got the modern look," Scott said, a bit shocked that Mafdet managed to create an entirely new form.

"Perfect! Now I shouldn't be questioned during this trip," the minor goddess said, the rope ladder extending down. Scott closed the book of Amun-Ra and placed it back into it's travel bag, climbing down the ladder while Jimmy worked to get Buddy situated.

The elevator ride was a bit long, but it didn't take long for the group to make it. "Now then chaps, what is the plan?" Jonathan asked.

"I think I'll keep an eye on the dock, since it's the only safe way for Amunphat to get here," Scott said.

"I am going sight seeing," Mafdet replied, seeing the O'Connells talking about doing the same thing, "You should relax! If he shows up, remember that I am here."

"But what about the other half of the orb?" Scott asked.

"It could take a full day before he arrives, we have plenty of time to sight see and plan an ambush." Scott didn't really know if "relaxing" was a good idea, as he didn't know what would happen if Amunphat had the power of a sun disk on his side.

Then again, why stare at the docks for hours. "Alright, but only if Jimmy wants to," Scott sighed.

"I don't mind," Jimmy replied, and Mafdet clapped her hands together.

"I will remember how to get here, my memory is one of the best. Now then, let us see what a great city beyond the ocean is like," Mafdet said, and while the O'Connell's, Buddy, and Tut went one way, Scott, Jimmy, Jonathan, and Mafdet went another.

As they wandered, it was clear there sheer size and height of the skyscrapers was getting to Mafdet.. Scott swore she was losing her balance at one point. During their walk, Scott noticed the museum had a new exhibit of The Book of Thoth. One which didn't have the book behind a protective casing. And Scott swore the book had a tear on it he didn't see last time he was here. "Scott, I know that look, don't," Jimmy said, getting Mafdet and Jonathan's attention.

"Look how unsafe that is!" Scott said, fuming, "Anyone could just waltz up and tear the book to pieces if they wanted!"

"I know, but stealing isn't the right course of action," Jimmy said, trying to calm Scott down.

"What is all this about stealing?" Mafdet asked, looking at where Scott was, "Oh, so that's were the old thing went. Thoth swore letting mortals borrow that old book was a good idea. Others tried to say otherwise."

"I'm getting that book," Scott said, much to Jimmy's pleading.

But Scott was already heading to the back of the museum, sneaking through the employee's exit. As he was in, silently navigating to where the Book of Thoth was being displayed. To Scott's surprise, there was no security. He easily walked to where the book was, and he could even see Jonathan and Jimmy's worried looks while Mafdet looked interested. Scott carefully grabbed the book, an open scroll falling from one of the pages when he closed the book. Scott carefully placed the Book of Thoth into his bag, then picked up the scroll. It was a Scroll of Waset in Thoth's name.

"Lucky catch," Scott hummed, carefully sneaking back out. When he rejoined the others, he saw the annoyed look Jimmy had, "I'd say it was worth it," Scott said, showing the scroll off.

"How did it end up there?" Jonathan asked.

"I believed Thoth had already transcribed the scroll, but I suppose I was mistaken," Mafdet said, "Well, you had better take good care of that, or Thoth will be greatly displeased."

"I'd say I've done well with Amun-Ra and Amun-Dei," Scott hummed.

Until dusk, most of the day was spent sightseeing and showing Mafdet what New York was like. Once everyone had regrouped, Evy was furious. "Call me insane, I don't believe it! We need to get that orb."

Scott gave a smirk, and Jimmy already knew what he was going to suggest, "You already got lucky once, you can't push your luck!"

"Well, who better to grab the orb than me?" Scott asked, "Or are you volunteering."

"Even if I wanted to, I doubt I'd make it far," Jimmy huffed.

"I would rather you not steal, but this time we have no choice," Evy said, "If the museum won't protect the orb, we have to do it ourselves."

"I'll be in and out before you know it," Scott said to Jimmy, moving back to the employee exit. A guard was standing there, and Scott knew he would need a distraction. Using the staff of Set, Scott summoned a fire dog, "Don't burn anything, just keep him busy."

The fire dog walked up to the guard, who did a double take. "I need more coffee," The guard grumbled, yelping when the fire dog snatched the guard's radio, "Hey! Get back here mutt!" The guard shouted, chasing after the fire dog.

Scott took the opportunity to slip into the building, each step he took not making a sound. He moved with stealth and speed, two traits often not found together. Spotting an odd door near a display of a rock wall of fossilized plants, Scott carefully approached and silently opened the door.

Only to see Amunphat struggling to combine the two halves. "If a spell of protection was placed on this!" Amunphat snarled.

"Perhaps I can?" Colin said, "Maybe only mortals can combine the two halves?"

"Then do it!" Amunphat snapped, shoving the two halves into Colin's arms. Well this just complicated things. Scott knew he would have to get both halves while avoiding Amunphat, but the question was how was he going to separate the two?