Chapter 14: No Time for Vacations

London had been the first stop they took. Despite some insistence, Mafdet wanted to see what a land above Greece was like. It helped that one of the logs mentioned a location in an unknown land, although Scott knew London wasn't unknow anymore. While Rick, Evy, Alex, and Buddy investigated the lead, Jonathan spent time back home. Leaving Jimmy and Scott to give a tour to Mafdet. "Now this is more my style, not too big of buildings," Mafdet said.

"Central London has some skyscrapers," Scott said as he drove. His first destination was the British Museum to see Pix, as maybe he knew someone that could help. As soon as he pulled in, he was surprised to see Kathrine talking to Pix, both heading into the cataloged building next door.

Scott pulled into a parking spot, the trio getting out. As they walked in, Scott could hear Katherine speaking with excitement. "I'm telling you, this is a new mineral!" Katherine stated, showing Pix a chunk of what looked to be slate, "Under ultra violet light, part of the mineral glows gold! Can you believe that?!"

"Are you sure it's not some paint?" Pix asked, a bit skeptical.

"I thought so to, but when I scratched at the area, it still glowed," Katherine said, pausing as she heard Scott clear his throat. "Scott?! Welcome back!"

Pix perked up as Katherine hugged both Scott and Jimmy. "Had fun in Egypt?" Pix asked.

"Well, it's quite the story," Scott said.

"Oh hello!" Katherine said as she held her hand out for Mafdet to shake, "I don't believe we've met."

"You may call me Hasti," Mafdet said, shaking hands with Katherine, "I am here on business after meeting your friends in Egypt. Both have been a great help." Scott and Jimmy looked at each other in slight surprise, and Scott wondered if Mafdet came up with the lie on the spot or had been practicing.

"What brings you three to the British museum?" Pix asked.

"What do you know about the Scrolls of Waset?" Scott asked.

"That there are too many to count, as both major and minor deities have a scroll," Pix said, "I also know that most are scattered around the world. But that's all, I'm afraid."

"Ah, it's fine," Scott sighed, "We've found a few, and we're looking for Osiris's specifically."

Pix thought for a moment, "Then I would try the Paris catacombs or other places connected with the afterlife." That wasn't a bad idea. Paris was just a flight away.

"Oh! If you plan to return on your adventuring, please find more of these!" Katherine said, handling her sample, "I'll let you borrow this one. I need to categorize where they can be found."

"We will, don't you worry," Jimmy said as the trio bid farewell.

As they exited, Scott noticed how late it was getting. "We should try and regroup," Scott said, hopping into his car. As soon as Jimmy and Mafdet were in, Scott pulled away and began to drive towards Elizabeth tower, the large clock tower that housed the famous Big Ben bell. To his surprised, he saw Evy flagging him down. As he pulled up, Scott looked confused, "What happened?"

"Amunphat has the formula, so we must go with plan B," Evy said as she, Rick, Alex, and Buddy got in.

"Where am I driving to?" Scott asked.

"We won't find him here, we need to get back to the Zephyr so we can fly to Berlin!" Evy replied. Scott quickly drove off once he sensed the urgency in her voice. 

At the airport, Jonathan was in the process of loading the motorcycle up when Scott pulled in. As soon as everyone got out, Jonathan knew something was up, "How bad is it?"

"My old professor might be in danger," Evy replied.

"Well, I know what I am doing as soon as we land," Mafdet hummed, "I am far faster than any 'car', so I will run ahead and search." Once everyone boarded, the zephyr quickly took off.

"What do you need to search?" Rick asked.

"Anything with his scent. My animal form should be able to track him," Mafdet replied.

Thankfully, the trip only took an hour and a half. As soon as they landed, Mafdet waited patiently while the O'Connell's visited the professor's house. As soon as they returned with no professor, Mafdet changed into her cheetah form, sniffing a piece of cloth. "My vision showed a forest, but not where the forest was," Alex frowned.

"No need, I have his trail," Mafdet replied, Jimmy and Jonathan walking over with some horses, "Make haste and follow!" Everyone saddled up and Mafdet took off, the others following. Scott saw Jimmy have Aten at the ready, and decided to prepare his staff.

As they rode after Mafdet, Scott could feel odd movements around him. When he noticed less hoof steps, Scott halted his horse and turned back. To his shock, it was as if the trees had come alive and attack Alex. There was no sign of Jonathan, Evy, or Rick. "ALEX!" Scott shouted, causing Jimmy and Mafdet to pause and turn back as Scott raced over.

One branch tried to grab Alex, but Scott was quicker, scooping Alex and Buddy up and racing away. "Where are the others?!" Jimmy asked.

"Kastengeist took them, the stupid manacle didn't help me save them!" Alex said, smacking the manacle, "Amunphat was controlling them."

"Then they're at the castle," Scott said, "So we should hurry."

"I still have the trail," Mafdet spoke, continuing her run while Jimmy, Scott, and Alex following behind. Buddy whined, and Alex held onto the Sha closely. Scott knew how Alex was feeling, and he hoped the others were safe.

It didn't take long for more plants to try and attack, but the horses were able to out speed said attacked. "There!" Alex exclaimed, pointing to a castle in the distance, "That's the one!" As the four approached, Scott and Jimmy halted their horses a bit back. "Look at those topiaries!"

"I wonder if the Set's staff would work on them?" Scott thought aloud, "They might represent earth."

"Worth a shot," Jimmy replied.

As they approached, Mafdet was suddenly on guard, "I can feel the presence of spirits!" Mafdet hissed.

Sure enough, the panther topiary and the cobra topiary came to life with glowing golden eyes, snarling and hissing as they surrounded the group. "Scott!" Jimmy gulped as the cobra topiary prepared to strike.