Chapter 22

Cassie's POV

No sounds to hear, no moves to make, no words to say.

Only a darkness.

No walls, or floor.

I had nothing, felt nothing, was nothing.

Is this death?

A faint cracking sound filled the air in a sudden flurry, surrounding me.

Then a faint light in front of me, the source unknown.

Then Mitch's voice came next, surrounding me once again.

"I love Carlee."

Something in my chest felt like it had shifted, sending a pang through my nonexistent body.

What is going on?

The voices, Jerome, Carlee, Mitch, me, my mother, my sister, Jerome's father, faster and faster, they flicked around me, cutting each other off, so I could no longer understand them.

It stopped suddenly, leaving behind an eerie silence.

I was losing everything I loved.

The sudden realization triggered something as the memories of the man in my house, and the window, and Carlee, and just everything came back, piece by piece-

I shot up and looked around through blurred vision. I saw cream colored walls, lined with medical supplies.

A hospital.

Only then did I realize not only the pain in my lower abdomen had forced me back down, but the heart monitor to my left began to increasing speed.

Once again, the window and the strange man came back, flooding me for the second time. I remembered that it had been September, something around the 12th. I didn't think I had been out for more than a week, but that changed when I took a glance at the calendar hanging on the wall.

October 29th.

I turned my attention over to the murmuring outside my door.

"I guess my hope for her has disappeared." a gruffer voice, most likely a doctor, stated.

"So I'll just unplug her IVs and take off her bandages then?" I higher pitched voice asked next, a nurse, I guessed.

The door opened to reveal a plump nurse and a tall doctor, who exited immediately down the hall behind her.

When she saw me with my eyes opened, staring at her with confusion, her own eyes widened in shock. Once she came back to realization, she immediately called the doctor back over, screaming so loud, she probably managed to get the attention of the entire building.

As he turned to look at me, the annoyance that previously etched his features shifted in to utter amazement.

The nurse, who finally came to her senses entered again, not noticing she had left, it was my turn to be surprised as three other nurses followed closely behind her.

The original one began to toy around with my heart monitor once she noticed the steadily increasing rate of the beeps that were being emitted from the machine. The second one started to adjust some of my IVs along with the third one who was behind her, fixing my oxygen levels and placing a mask over my nose and mouth. The last one simply stood in the corner, scribbling on her clipboard, peeking over it ever so often to observe.

Through all of the hustle around me, I only laid back farther, choosing not to speak-that is, until the nurse with the clipboard yelled something into the hall.

"Someone get ahold of Carlee Jefferson, Mitchell Hughes, and Jerome Aceti immediately!"

She seemed content as she returned to her previous position.

I wasted no time yanking my right arm out of the grasp of the second nurse to pull my oxygen mask on to my chin.

"What happened?" I asked, realizing how unclear and hoarse my voice sounded.

I already knew what was happening, but I felt that an explanation could do me some good.

The doctor, who had conveniently entered once again, perked up at this question.

To my disappointment, he only repeated the things I knew, until he reached the end.

"I don't know how you're alive, honestly, we were just coming in to pull out the IVs and give up. You've been considered dead since you arrived here in September."

"Dead?" I questioned, stronger this time.

Now I began to become frantic, what even became of my friends once they were told? Did they cry? Did they already forget about me?

Several of these thoughts continued to spread in my mind.

My thoughts were interrupted when two people came bustling through the door, out of breath and bewildered.

Jerome and Mitch.

I smiled as they both began to silently cry.

"Where's Carlee?"

Mitch began rubbing the back of his neck hesitantly as Jerome began to cry harder, still silent.

"Therapy." Mitch murmured under his breath, but still loud enough for me to hear.

"What?" I asked, tears brimming my eyes.

I already knew the answer, and I had worried about this, but I needed to hear it to believe it.

"S-she was thrown into depression after your 'death' a-" Jerome answered for him.

"Okay" I cut him off, not requiring further confirmation.

After that, my tears effortlessly fell, and I found my head settled into my hands.

Maybe, just maybe, If I hid long enough, everything would just go away.
~
HOLY SHEET

AN UPDATE

AHH

856 WORDS

LONGEST CHAPTER IVE EVER WRITTEN.

AHH

so yea basically I was away for a week at a sleep away camp and right now I'm in the Bahamazzzz.

AHH

I PROBABLY CONFUSED YOU GUYS SO MUCH WITH CHAPTER BUT IF YOU DIDNT REALIZE, CASSIE WASNT ACTUALLY DEAD AND YA

WHY AM I STILL IN CAPS

AHH

CAPPPPZZZZ

AH

Recognition:

Though it was is on one of my other stories, (*insert self promotion for "Promises" here*) catanic11 has been very supportive and leaves constant comments that make me laugh. So if you could maybe please go check them out, they have amazing stories!

please and thank you

Anyways, haveeeee annnn amazingggg dayyyyÿ
~